Brb, Swimming in Sources

To be honest, I almost didn’t do this project. I was really hesitant to repurpose a journal entry. I was afraid that I would not be able to extract a solid argument relating to it. However, looking back at that now, I’m really glad I went with my heart and chose it. The entry was a contemplation comparing the ideas of ecological competition and human competition for communal memory. I reminded me of this overarching idea that science (in this case the science of our mortality) works against us. I want to argue otherwise by focusing on the humanities and sciences as academic and career fields. My main argument is still that the humanities are sciences are more compatible than people seem to believe. So far I’ve gone as far as looking at a lot of articles that go for and against the idea that “the humanities are dying.” In addition, I’ve started my rough draft by putting down ideas form my reading that resonated with me and building off them with my own opinion.

It’s worth noting that I changed the genre for this text. I originally wanted to construct my argument through writing a fictional short story. However, I’ve now fiction that fiction may not be the best realm for my argument. I considered what we discussed in class about choosing a genre that would be the most effective in reaching the intended audience. On one hand, I think it would be great if my story could support as well as be an example of the collaboration of humanities and the sciences. But at the same time, not all of my audience would be willing to read a fictional piece. Instead, I chose an Atlantic article for my genre, mainly because it’s a format used to reach a broad audience. The structure of this kind of article is simple and I think it does a good job at emphasizing main points in the text visually and spatially.

I’m finding a lot of inspiration in these articles. They are making my vision clearer. I wasn’t sure how I wanted to approach this, since just the idea of combining science and the humanities is just so broad. I think I want to keep my main focus on the career and educational perspectives of these fields. I plan to also touch on the personal enrichment from both as well.

There were a lot of article that I found arguing that the humanities should be valued more. This is

Steven Pinker is a psychologist and the author of an article I read this week. He is coincidentally also the same Pinker that wrote A Sense of Style.

especially relevant to now because there seems to be this push for STEM. But there is another side to this argument that also shows the reluctance for people in the humanities to also engage with the sciences. This probably won’t be emphasized very much because of our culture and the ways science is valued. But I think that arguing the other side will balance out my argument. Steven Pinker argues this very well.

I want to convince people that both are necessary for personal and professional enrichment of the individual. So I knew that I needed evidence to support that the two fields aren’t as different as people tend to believe. While scouring the Internet for more articles to support the science side, I found a wonderful article about how they are united by the pursuit of understanding. And it was backed with evidence! Yes! This is just what I needed.

At this point, I feel like there I still so much I should read. The articles hyperlinked in my sources so far, the hyperlinks of those, and so on. But I realize that I will need to focus. I will not have time to look at every text on the subject.

At this point, the outline of my article will be like so:

• Address some assumptions made about the humanities and the people associated with them
  • Address some assumptions made about the sciences and the people associated with them
  • Why do these assumptions exist, how did they come to being, and how do they affect our views
  • Combining the sciences and humanities in the individual and the benefits

I would like some feedback on the structure of this outline if possible. But if you do have some suggestions, I would appreciate it!

Overall, I’m really excited to see where this project goes. I’ve already learned so much about my topic this week and it’s allowing me to think deeper about what I think of this topic. I can’t wait to learn more about all of your re-purposing projects as well, and I hope you’re having as much fun with them as I am. Happy writing!

giphy (2)

Katrina Soyangco

Katrina is a BCN and writing minor student at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. She hopes to someday become a physician, although not quite sure what kind yet. She’s not as cool as her older brother but strives to be.

One thought to “Brb, Swimming in Sources”

1. Katrina,

After reading your draft and comparing it to this initial outline, it is easy to see how I found it to be so successful at making your argument. You stuck to the framework you presented here in this blog post, and it resulted in an article that makes a very compelling argument.
    Additionally, I wanted to say that I can totally relate to what you’re saying about how much you’ve learned about your subject thus far. I’ve always felt that having to research a topic is sometimes the best way to learn about it. It forces you to pursue further knowledge to the aspects that you have less understanding about, and only when you understand whatever it is that you are reading or recording can you analyze/write about it.