Drafting and Revising Your Project(s)

While reading chapter 7 of “Writer/Designer” (particularly the first few pages), I thought a lot about what the rough cut of my re-purposing project will look like versus the rough draft. I decided that I would ideally hope to include any potentially useful footage in a rough cut in my video, and that my draft would exist once I began re-arranging the order of the clips in addition to adding other stylistic elements such as sounds or visual elements such as text. I also imagine that as a video, the project will just be one on-going rough draft that is constantly being altered and tweaked.

Regarding my ePortfolio project, I would definitely have to say that I felt that the most useful sections of the chapter were the ones regarding planning your rough cut and moving from a rough cut to a rough draft. I suppose that is because the rest of the chapter referenced aspects of creating a project that we have already covered while working on our re-purposing projects, such as feedback and revision. As mentioned in my previous blog post, it’s all about that feedback loop.

I was surprised to learn that the creation of a rough cut actually would include the literal creation of our ePortfolio site. The “roughness” referenced by authors of “Writer/Designer” actually includes most of the visual aspects of our ePortfolio, including graphics, color schemes, and text styles. Sure, the site may not be interactive at this point, but it sounds as if our rough cuts will appear as websites with an appearance that just has not serve any functions yet. Reading directions on how to go about creating my rough cut got me back to thinking about what I hope my ePortfolio will look like visually. Earlier in the semester, when this assignment was first introduced, I thought of several potential ideas for what the overall theme of my ePortfolio should be. I am still determined to try to put together a visual appearance that pertains highly to the content in my projects, and that also relates to me on a more personal level. That may be difficult considering the focus of my projects so far are binge drinking on campus, but we’ll see where it goes I suppose. michigan drinking

Any draft of my ePortfolio will, in my opinion, essentially be a finished project that could be improved upon. It is supposed to include all my finished written works, music, and a navigable web menu which means that it will already be serving its true purpose of introducing myself and my works in the writing minor. I guess this makes sense considering it is ideal to have incorporated any and all ideas you have for a project prior to having it introduced to others for feedback.

Understanding now that my ePortfolio rough draft “should work” according to the instructions in “Writer/Designer”, I am realizing that my timeline is beginning to shrink. It’s important that I commit to one or two themes to base my ePortfolio off of so that I can look into design schemes and ideas that will make my argument clear to my intended audience. I feel as if the way my ePortfolio presents my projects is almost as important as the content of the assignments in regarding to adequately illustrating their purpose to readers. Like, if my ePortfolio design is boring or unrelated to my questions regarding blackout culture at Michigan, my audience may feel less inclined to take my argument seriously due to a lack of interest or cohesion within what is on the screen in front of them.