Harder Than I Thought (Blog 5)

To be totally honest, I think I had way too much confidence in my abilities to successfully emulate the Elite Daily tone and structure in my repurposing project. I figured this couldn’t be that hard. If I was writing in a blogging fashion geared towards people of my generation, I should be able to do it right? I mean, in reality, it’s just like talking to some of my friends. While this is the tone of the publication, and it is kind of like that, I found myself struggling a lot more than I had anticipated to project this voice in the best way possible. In terms of the “go-to” sentence structuring of Elite Daily, I lucked out in that I quickly realized their go-to sentence structure was super similar to mine. They get down a lot of their thoughts and either sum them up or interject them with some witty comparison. (Kind of like this, get it?) This made the structuring my piece a lot easier, because I quickly realized that the way they structured their sentences was super similar to how I structured my own thoughts, so I didn’t really have to alter that part of it. I noticed a lot more curse words entered my writing vocabulary.

While I’m a little embarrassed (honestly, not that embarrassed) <—look at that structuring! to admit that I don’t have the cleanest mouth, curse words were never a part of my writing vocabulary. Elite Daily, however, wholly embraces the art of swearing in their writing. This took some getting used to, but I noticed it definitely adds greater authenticity to the writing, further defining it as more conversational rather than academic or preachy, two things Elite Daily is not. Because I’m doing two different pieces for two different sections of the publication, I’ve found that I have a much easier time writing tongue-in-cheek about my own life experiences rather than in a more serious, reflective manner. That being said, the piece pertaining to using humor as a coping mechanism for the “Life” section, was much more difficult for me than the more light-hearted “Dating” section article about the 5 types of funny guys. Because I don’t generally take life too seriously, and this writing is very conversational, it was harder for me to change my normal thought process to be more serious. Not only did I have to alter my thinking, I then had to convey that new thought process in a reflective, serious writing tone for the “Life” section piece.

Rebecca Soverinsky

Rebecca is a Junior (please send help for her mental state in accepting this and a walker for her aging body) studying Communications at the University of Michigan. She believes award show season is the best season (shout out to E! News) and is always willing to take on a challenge or learn something new- as long as there is Nutella involved. She hopes to learn as much as she can from the Sweetland Minor in Writing, and she's excited to see what's in store.

2 thoughts to “Harder Than I Thought (Blog 5)”

1. Rebecca,
    It seems that we both were victims of hubris and thought that emulating our model would be a simple task when we first started our respective projects. Nevertheless, I am glad that you were able to overcome the struggle, especially since your own voice was able to resonate with that of the Elite Daily. I also rather enjoy the fact that you plan to utilize swearing words in your piece, and that you realize their value. Most often, such language is stigmatized for being crass, making it difficult to use normally. However, you’re right in stating that the added authenticity can justify utilizing this language, so long as it resonates with your target audience. Perhaps you can practice this with some of your blog posts; I’m curious to see how your voice appears with such language. And I’ll part by saying to not beat yourself up over the difficulty of writing the Life part of your project; it’s a heavy topic that can be interpreted many ways, thus making it incredibly difficult to write about naturally.

2. Dear Becca,
    I think your piece was so effective because you were able to emulate the Elite Daily style so well. It sounded really authentic, and I think this comes from the fact that that your personality was able to shine through. Any reader would be able to feel like they know you – and that’s what makes it so relatable. I agree that using curse words makes it more conversational. I think a lot of times the purpose of Elite Daily articles are to make readers feel like they’re getting advice from a close friend.