How to target audiences

Today’s class was very interesting due to the questions asked. I always find it really interesting all of the different topics that we discuss. The question that sparked our discussion today was, “when you don’t agree and told to believe it, how do you respond?” This reflects our approach on how do we target to different audiences who aren’t interested in our topic. Through my discussion with Ray, I was able to understand how to maximize the utility/practical use to make different audiences to understand how my topic relates to what people are passionate for.

Thus, it is important to consider the different audience types to try and appeal to. My main audience include passionate sports fans who engage with sports in some aspect of life. My outreach audience would include people who are not die-hard fans, but enjoy to cheer on regional/local sports who cares at a broader scale. Finally, I would consider the excluded group of people who do not identify with a community. Their interest opts out of community identification. This was hard to identify because of my topic choice that includes sports and social media. However, after the discussion in class I was able to understand the importance of community identification that I will definitely include within my project.

Emily Sejna

I LOVE pizza, Michigan, and cold weather.

5 thoughts to “How to target audiences”

1. Hey Emily,

I agree, today’s class discussion really got me thinking about audience optimization, especially given that our portfolio is essentially an argumentative piece. Given your topic choice, which involves sports and social media, I would be interested to see if you would be able to further and broaden your “in-group” audience. You’ve done a nice job of audience identification, but one other aspect to take a look at could be how your topic interacts with organizational makeup and studies. Adding organizational studies as another wrinkle could expand your audience and give you another chance to back up your argument with extensive research. Looking forward to seeing what direction you run with!

2. Emily,

Another thing to consider is the group of people who don’t identify with your project. If they don’t identify with social media or with sports, what do they identify with? If its something similar to either one, you might be able to generalize your argument to those people. I would be very interested to know if the relationships you observe between social media and sports supporters could hold for other relationships, such as the ones between social media and fans of a set of bands or artists. Considering these people might help you to gain an addition audience to the “left or right.”

3. Hi Emily,

I totally agree with your sentiments about the discussion we had in class today. I have not yet fleshed out what my proximal audiences are but I do think I need to change my approach in terms of writing for an audience that understands my topic and my point of view. I do want to consider though, my immediate audience and what their needs are versus only catering to an audience that does not totally understand or an audience that cannot full sympathize. I will do this by the language I use (making sure it is inclusive), giving examples of real life stories and accounts and by thoroughly explaining. More on this later.

4. Dear Emily,

First of all, hello from a gateway student. I am excited to be in the capstone just because of this post. It seems that you all have deductively teased out many questions and concerns regarding writing that many writers face. More significantly, these questions have been posed in ways that get at the larger issues regarding audience and argument.I feel like these conversations are always eyeopening in some way. The question you stated in your post really captures quite simply but also accurately that struggle of persuading those who don’t agree. However, I wonder how different topics would produce different views on the quantity of target audiences one can conceivably reach.

I am currently writing about race and diversity for my re-purposing project. Perhaps unrealistically, but steal ideally, I can claim that everyone has a relationship to the concept of race. That it is pervasive and touches us in ways we are both conscious and unconscious of. As a self professed sports fan, it’d be interesting to see how those uninterested in sports would take to an article about the topic. I frequently witness non-sports fans say that sports does not relate or impact their life significantly.

5. Hi Emily,

This was a helpful post to revisit given where I am in my process of the project. This question has been one that I continue to circle back to as I tackle research and the beginning execution steps of my project as I consider who is in my audience. Deciding who to target is easy in terms of a college audience but as I begin to expand beyond into, as you mentioned, ‘outreach’ groups, the issue becomes more complex. The articles I am reading suggest that external forces/influences on students greatly impact their news choices which makes a lot of sense and expands my audience to parents, professors and peers as well. Yet that also prompts me to think, who, then is excluded?

Being that my topic also deals with international issues, there can be a global audience to consider as well. Although this topic can be greatly inclusive, I think its important to keep my scope reasonable and realistic. Through these questions in class, I find myself thinking about these issues such as audience attention. In the meta-sense, these are the kind of questions those in the media consider as well. Knowing one’s audience greatly impacts how news outlets craft and choose what is news.

Thanks for writing about this and spurring more productive thought!