I Think I Can I Think I Can

As I rethink and rework and change this project in my mind again and again and yes, again, I think I may be coming to some sort of solidified first project (hopefully).

I heard about this project third grade teacher Kyle Schwartz did with her students, giving them a prompt of “I wish my teacher knew…” in hopes that she would be able to reach the students on a more personal level, being able to cater to each of their individual needs. I thought this was so cool and added it to my secret list on my computer titled “Things You Need To Do as a Teacher.” From my experience, the difference between a good teacher and great teacher is that the great teacher puts in the effort to understand how you think, how you work, and what makes you, well, you. As for my project, I was planning on doing a narrative from a child’s perspective, aimed at a teacher, in somewhat of this format of “what my teacher needs to know about me.” Differently than Schwartz’s project, I think I would make this more than just a small note. I would make it more like a journal entry or personal narrative reflecting my personal experiences as a fifth grader transforming into a sixth grader as well as reflecting the research I have found on this particular subject. I think my biggest concern about this so far is that I’m not sure how long it will really turn out to be. I think maybe 3 pages would be the average paper length for a student in the sixth grade, and I want to be realistic to that, but I’m not sure if that will fulfill the requirements for this project (I know we have a lot of freedom, but still). The audience for this project (so it will be the same as my next) would be aimed not specifically at one teacher, but at all teachers. I would make it a general statement at teachers who are willing and able to prevent and change the effects of self-esteem issues. I want it to sound as realistic as possible, so I will definitely have to dive further into some research on what exactly causes self-esteem issues and how they could be prevented. I think in this journalistic piece I would want to refer to “specific” situations, such as “Jane told me I couldn’t sit with her because I don’t have on Abercrombie and Fitch clothes on like her and her friends,” or something of that sort. I don’t want this to sound like a huge cry for help though. I’m nervous that this narrative will come off sounding cheesy and kind of basic. I want it to portray real emotion where anyone could read it and say, “Wow, this is more of an issue than I thought.” My second project will then be a response to this from a teacher who has read the narrative. The teacher (me) will create a lesson plan from this, aimed at teachers, in order to educate them on these seemingly overlooked issues in the classroom, and how to prevent and change them. My biggest goal as a future teacher is creating a classroom that can be a safe haven for every student that enters it, whether they are in my class or not. I want every child to feel comfortable to be the individual human they are and I want to be able to cater to their emotional, social, and academic needs based on this.

My idea is a little rusty so far but I hope that as I research further and really gain more insight on my topic, I will be able to come up with something that will really be able to make a difference in any child’s world. The panic of this first draft being due on Saturday hasn’t hit me yet, but ask me how I feel around Thursday.

Panic

2 thoughts to “I Think I Can I Think I Can”

1. Personally, I think you should have more confidence in your idea 🙂 I’ve told you this, but I love how it directly relates to something you want to do in your future. You’ll not only educate others on this overlooked topic, but you’ll also educate the future teacher inside you.

I’m curious to see how much research there really is out there, if this is indeed an overlooked and underrepresented topic. You might have hit on something you’d want to study later on in life. All in all, great work!

2. To start, I think you’re going to be a fantastic teacher! The fact that you’re already thinking about how to form deeper relationships with students and learn more about them on a personal level is inspiring and encouraging. Second, I think your project has so much potential. You’re obviously passionate about it, which is one of the most important criteria for Projects 1 and 2. One suggestion I’d make is to talk to your family members, look through some old photographs, and maybe see if you can dig up a journal from your childhood. These could all be used as valuable resources when trying to pry into your own thoughts as a fifth grader and make the letter more genuine. I can’t wait to see what you come up with for your rough draft 🙂