It’s Been A Long (But Rewarding) Journey

When it comes to the genre and style I’ve adopted for my repurposing project, I’ve found myself creating several elongated thoughts, which could really use another look or two. Since I was in middle school, the comma has been at times both my best friend in writing, and my worst enemy in writing. As I look to mature my writing, and adapt new styles of writing while revising my repurposing project, I have strong hopes that I can work to strengthen my sentence structure and diction in the process.

Syntax has never come to mind for me while writing, I feel that this is the case because my previous teachers had not heavily covered the intricacies of grammar. My personal sentence organization has been either loved or unloved by my previous instructors as well, it comes down to whether the ideas I’m conveying make sense on their own, en route to also getting those thoughts down on paper. That being said, I work to place heavy personal emphasis on using a wide array of vocabulary within my essays. Although certain words in my works of writing feel as if they were lifted directly from the thesaurus, the truth is often that I’ll tend to sit there for minutes at a time, recollecting every which word that could possibly make a given sentence better.

I’m proud of the strides I’ve made in my writing, throughout the course of my continuing education at Michigan. The process in becoming an advanced writer is a long one, no doubt. And with the changes I’ve made in my own bag of tricks, hopefully one day I will make it there.

Henry Khederian

Student, Resident Advisor, Mentor. University of Michigan, Class of 2017.

2 thoughts to “It’s Been A Long (But Rewarding) Journey”

1. Hi Henry,

I actually laughed out loud when I read your sentence about commas being your best and worst enemy. I feel the exact same way! Sometimes I feel like I overuse them in a piece and my sentences end up 4 lines long and then other times I feel like I don’t have one comma in sight. I noticed in your draft that you do have a lot of commas, but I think they work in your piece–especially given your topic/genre.

Kennedy mentioned in her blog post that she’s working on vocabulary and I am as well. Isn’t it crazy how many words there are, yet we seem to remain stuck in a rut of using the same words over and over? I’ve been exploring a thesaurus as well as recalling some etymology from the days when I took Latin. How have you begun to combat this vocabulary issue?

Finally, I think it’s great that you’re seeing improvement in your writing as you become more advanced. I’ve always been a little pessimistic about writing, usually noting that no one is ever completely “done” learning to write. I think your thought of “making it” one day is a good one and I hope to adopt the same glass-half-full ideal!

2. I do not remember my compositional flaws from middle school./ I think my syntax has always been hated though because my sentences are always too long, with too many commas, and too many dependent phrases. Getting too attached is a big issue for me, but I think I’ve learned to combat those feelings over the years. I’m trying to be more emotionally unavailable in relation to my writing.

The term thesaurus (TRIGGER WARNING) rape was used when Twilight came out, which regardless of its insensitivity to survivors, is a funny and relatable phenomenon. That balance between I can describe things well and with authority, and I’m trying hard to describe things well and with authority, is a thin one.

I think it’s interesting that you brought up becoming an advanced writer, because I feel like its impossible to do. I recently wrote an email to a student who reached out to an organization I am in, and although I thought it was solid at the time others disagreed. There are so many genres, and so many situations within them, and even audiences, that writing will always fail to some degree, in my opinion.