Making my words REAL: Blogging About Remediation

When creating my repurposing project, I came across several things that I thought were interesting to explore in the future [which is upon us].

First, although a blog is a great venue for getting novel thoughts and ideas out into the cybersphere, there’s a certain stigma that blogs have that goes something along the lines of “no matter how credible the blog may seem, it is an unreliable source”. So even though I have tried to incorporate sources and research into my blog articles, they may or may not be regarded by the public as a good source of information. And in talking to my friends about blogs and my project in general (and I should listen to what they have to say seeing that they are my intended audience of college males), most of them don’t read blogs.   They’ll watch TV, go on social media, and even read magazine and newspaper articles. But for the most part they are unfamiliar with blogs, as I was too before I took this class.

So, while creating my repurposing project, I began to look at my work and ask myself how I can condense this information into a format that will be widely accessible, widely read, and contain information on fitness that won’t have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Second, in my blogs I wanted to include a lot of links to other things I’ve read online, and many times I found myself echoing a lot of prior research and articles. I don’t think this is completely a bad thing, because I do want to include the opinions of others. But I also want my blogs to be original and maintain my own voice and flair.

Finally, I don’t want to simply write about how to live a life that will help you stay in shape. I want to help people stay in shape. I don’t want to simply write about motivation. I want to motivate people. When you sit down and read my blog posts, you might feel more informed, have more insight than you did before you read them, or even feel uplifted. But will reading words on a computer screen resonate with you enough to go do something to change your lifestyle? I want to put in videos, music, quotes, social media, images that will drive the message home—this is another issue with my blogs that I’ve been struggling with.

Putting all of this together has been a sort of “mock up” for me. Elements of credibility, accessibility, originality, and relatability all need to be a part of my remediation project. So creating a multimodal design to reflect these elements was a potential challenge.   Fortunately, I realized that all of these elements could be combined in a way that’s already familiar to me.   As I pitched in class, I want my project to be a fitness version of “The Lunch Read”.

Creating a news based fitness email will hopefully be attractive to a college level audience. From the sense I get in talking with other students, I think people enjoy getting emails like “The Lunch Read” sent to them, which have articles already there for them, making news-access easier and more time efficient, which is important for a college student with little time on their hands.   People wanting to stay up-to-date on news will get “The Lunch Read”, and people looking for some current fitness news and weekly motivation will [hopefully] be willing to read my project.

I am struggling with how to create a rough cut/storyboard for this project. Something like putting articles together doesn’t really have much of a rough draft component. But one idea is to create a “rough draft” email for one week, and then based on the feedback I get, I could make a different one entirely for the next week and change things based on criticism.

Many of my peers asked if I was going to include my own articles. If they are relevant, then I would love to! Although for the most part I wanted to put in articles from well-respected magazines and newspapers, so fitting a blog post in there might be a challenge.

Also, I need a catchy name. People have mentioned TheSkimm to me, and other things like this all have creative, catchy names. I’m still brainstorming, but suggestions are definitely appreciated!

2 thoughts to “Making my words REAL: Blogging About Remediation”

1. Cole! I can relate to everything you’re talking about. So many times we just can’t find that one perfect media, and when we do, we struggle with its conventions, or how to make it the best of its kind. For you, deciding on the daily/weekly e-mail i think is that perfect idea you were looking for, but you’re struggling with little things like the title, and such. Perhaps you can call it something like the TheBenchPress or some reference to gym equipment (you’re allowed to laugh at that, many of my ideas are corny and terrible).

I too am struggling with making a mockup/storyboard because my project, like yours, is more textual than visual. Maybe we can discuss this in our blog group and come up with some sort of compromise on how to draw out the assets of the piece. In other words, how can we be true to the storyboard/mockup style without surrendering the key elements of our rough drafts? It will probably take the form of a free write > bulleted list > mockup. Since, I can’t really draw picture of what I want to say before I say them. Does that make sense? I’m definitely rambling but you get my point!

2. Hi Cole!
    I think that your idea of a motivational email is awesome. They are a great way to reach out to a busy, always-on-laptops-or-iphones population of college students. I find that the only way I can incorporate news or other non-academic information into my life is through bits and pieces–pictures and hashtags, memes, etc. You could use all of these things on your emails.

The mock-up / storyboard process does sound a little tricky. But if I were you, I would not worry too much about adhering to certain conventions of these processes, and rather just do what you think you have to do to get started thinking about and designing the style/ content of your pieces. Sending out a rough draft email and asking for feedback is a great idea. You could send out a poll with it, asking readers which aspects of it they were most drawn to and what parts they overlook.