New Style

Honestly, I thought writing an article in the New York Times style would be fairly easy. Because I have experience writing for a newspaper, I didn’t think it would take very much time for me to figure it out. Turns out, I struggled more than I thought I would because I started overthinking the style I’m used to utilizing. I also tried to use rhetorical questions now and then, and I realized that I would have to research if that would be OK in the sports section of the Times. As soon as I started second-guessing myself, I stopped writing efficiently. Writing this blog has actually been very helpful for that reason; I’m able to come to terms with why I’m struggling.

Going forward, I think I’m going to try to write more of an opinion piece for my topic. This could go in the Opinion section of the Times, or appear as a column in the Sports section. Instead of using examples of sport psychology in action and trying to explain why athletes make certain decisions, I’m going to make the argument of why there should be a sport psychologist on any NCAA or professional team. That way, I can use more of my voice and not rely on outside sources quite as much.

When it comes to the actual style of the New York Times, I had to reassess what I had learned from the Daily. The Daily follows AP style, as does the New York Times. The New York Times also has very high credibility, so I will have to make sure that all of my sources are credible. It’s also known as “The Paper of Record,” which means that my audience is essentially the nation. I’ll have to use examples that ALL sports fans care about, not just ones that I care about. Overall, the sentence structure is very straightforward. I didn’t have to add new words to my vocabulary because the level of comprehension is aimed at the average U.S. citizen.

Kelly Hall

I'm a junior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. I love writing about community events, especially those involving sports. On campus, I spend most of my time at the Michigan Daily, where I'm a sports editor and writer.

2 thoughts to “New Style”

1. I’m sorry to hear about the difficulty you had writing your draft but it sounds like you came up with a good alternative to better fit your aim for the project. Good luck finding examples that appeal to all sports fans, I know I would have trouble with that. I’m a little defensive about my teams and I would struggle to say anything but critiques of other teams. I’m excited to see how you do with that!

2. I like the way you’re taking this. You seem really passionate about the topic and doing something more opinion-based will definitely help that to come through more. I’m wondering how changing like this will change your rhetoric at all (aside from voice). For instance, will you consider appealing more directly to your audience?