Repurposing progress :) (I’m excited, hence the smiley face)

For my repurposing project, I am working on transforming a short story I wrote for a creative writing class my freshman year. The story, “Prayers for an Ambulance,” is a fictional story about a little girl who’s father passed away from cancer. The scenes included in the short story are roughly based off of memories I hold from experiencing my own father’s death. For my project, I am hoping to make the piece non-fiction and add some information from psychological research on loss and grieving for children to affirm my emotions. My new intended audience is individuals who have had similar experiences, whether with personally grieving a parent or for those whom are trying to understand grieving children on a psychological level.

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about how I will design my e-portfolio. Currently, I am brainstorming different ways of how to combine the personal narrative and analytical essay genres. When we analyzed Alexis Stempien’s e-portfolio from the Winter 2015 cohort in class, inspiration light bulbs went off in my head.

[This image features the top half of a woman's face as she looks upward at a sketched light bulb.]
[This image features the top half of a woman’s face as she looks upward at a sketched light bulb.]
Alexis’ e-portfolio combines her seemingly contradicting passions for science and her Christian faith to explain to her audience how the two can work together. To transition between faith and science, she implemented a button at the bottom of each faith-themed piece connecting the reader to the complimentary science piece.

At this point, I am pretty set on creating a blog. During my inspirational moment, I came up with the idea of having my narrative and analytical pieces side by side. On my blog, the repurposing of my short story will occur in blog post chunks. With each post, I want to give readers a memory, and depending on if it occurred before or after my dad’s actual death, the psychological thing that was happening in my brain/body at the time. In addition, I am planning on my blog’s name being, “to heaven and back” (yes, in lowercase letters because I love lowercase letters). When I was little, my family used to say, “I love you to heaven and back” instead of just “I love you.” After my dad died, the phrase took on new meaning. This practice has become a tradition in my house and I hope including the phrase “to heaven and back” will be a connecting point for my family and the rest of my audience.

Here is another memory I want to include: When I was younger, my dad used to pray a nighttime prayer with us before my siblings and I went to bed. It went like this: “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. May the angels protect me through the night, and keep me safe until morning light.” When my dad died, my family changed the line about the angels to, “May the angels and daddy protect me through the night.”

Here is what I have so far:

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 2.46.21 PM

I can’t make it un-blurry, but here is the link to my current progress:

http://sophiafm.wix.com/writing220

When it comes to advice, I think my biggest question is if my idea makes sense? Do you think the format will be confusing?