Shifting to Investigative Journalism

Because I decided to shift my form from opinion-editorial style genre (original form) to investigative journalism it has been difficult to completely rid the piece of my opinion, especially because it is a topic I am very invested in. I have been trying to implement a more intellectual structure in that I provide statistics or quotations from interviews and then thread together patterns from that data without allowing bias from my own opinion.

That being said, I think my new go-to sentence structure would be point-evidence-point, where I make a point, provide a statistic or quote, and then bookend that with an argument. I also ask a lot of rhetorical questions throughout the piece. For example: “But just how important is culture to job seeking millenials?” or the ending sentence, “So, will this the Ross Class of 2015 that redefines what it means to recruit #LikeAMillenial?”

I need to research my ideal publication sources more to fully understand the ins and outs of the investigative journalism genre, specifically how to implement data and appropriately ask rhetorical questions.

I think it will be challenging yet rewarding to continue revising this investigative journalism style. I do not have much experience with reporting without a persuasive or instructive edge. In fact, I noticed as I was concluding my draft that I had a tendency to either try to persuade or instruct the audience based on my argument. I will have to constantly keep this objective perspective in mind in order to deliver my results and analysis without opinion.

Anna Prenzler

Anna is a senior studying business with a minor in writing at the University of Michigan. She believes you can never sing or laugh enough, and you must write things down for two reasons - to remember what happens in your life and to feel something.

2 thoughts to “Shifting to Investigative Journalism”

1. Hi Anna, I don’t think that you have to entirely strip your paper of opinionated content. I do agree that it is probably better received in a different form however, and you have done the right thing by transferring your opinion into data and quotations that align with this personal stance. The changes will help to make your article appear as professional as possible, as well as to subtly mask your persuasive technique. I know this topic is very close to you and it just wouldn’t make any sense to leave your opinion out of it. Even the best news stations are slanted 😉

2. Hey Anna, I think you actually do a really great job of withholding your personal opinion and just letting the facts/statistics speak for themselves. You also speak through the quotes from you interview. Your tone is working really well so far, I would just recommend diving deeper into the arguments you make and opening up your conclusion to a larger audience, rather than just focusing on students in Ross. I’m excited to see how your article turns out: )