Stuck in a Perpetual Feedback Loop

One of the things that really caught my attention when reading about designing our remediation projects in Writer/Designer was their idea of the “Feedback Loop.” I have never been too great at listening to other’s feedback. Chalk it up to a little bit of confidence and way too much stubbornness, but sometimes the ideas inside my head for my work are so sacred I shut all other voices out. I think my distaste for feedback also comes from the lack of effective comments from the dozens of peer editing sessions I’ve had in the past. News flash: “Great work!” is not constructive criticism.

Parks and Rec April Ludgate nightmare
I was the April Ludgate of peer editing.

All bitterness aside, feedback has just not been my cup of tea. But of course, Writing 220 forces me, yet again, out of my comfort zone by having TONS of chances for feedback at every corner; forcing me to not only give feedback, but to receive it with open arms. And I really have learned to love it. I love listening to what my blog group has to say every week through comments and peer review sessions. I love receiving feedback on Canvas for all of my writing assignments I love understanding what others liked about my work and their suggestions for further improvement. It’s all going splendidly.

However, feedback and I are in the beginning stages of our relationship and for some reason we can’t seem to move past that honeymoon phase. Instead of moving forward with the feedback given to me, I love to revel in it and ponder it and keep on revising with it. I am staying within this draft phase of my work; within a perpetual feedback loop. I guess you could say I am a little scared of commitment, scared of moving on to that coveted “final draft” stage.

As far as my remediation project so far, it is going well in the sense that I know what I am doing, but not so well in the sense that I am scared as heck to actually execute this kind of thing. I have never created a well-edited video and I am terrified of the amount of work and late-night hours this project will indeed create. But I am looking forward to pushing myself; challenging myself to go past the feedback, rough draft stage and going for a product that is final and awesome.

2 thoughts to “Stuck in a Perpetual Feedback Loop”

1. Maddy,

I laughed when I read about your distaste for feedback, because I often feel the exact same way. Before this class, I HATED doing workshops and stuff, mainly because it never seemed like the people who were looking at my work were interested in helping make it better. You’re right about blog groups though (ours is the best, by the way); it’s really nice to have a group of people who you’ve built relationships with, who know your style, and who therefore can help make real comments to improve your work.

As for your video, have you started looking at different models to help guide you? It also might be worthwhile to look on Youtube for some information on how to edit a nice, clean video. I think once you start practicing with whatever software you’re using for your video, you’ll get the hang of it–maybe even play around with it now (even if the clips you’re editing aren’t for this project). Are you planning on doing a narration of the video? That might be a great way to add some aural elements to it, and it could convey to your audience the tone of the piece through your voice and expressions. Hopefully, once you get into your project, you’ll have fun spending those late nights editing, and revising again and again (with the feedback of others!) will make the final draft phenomenal!

You got this! I’m looking forward to seeing what you make.

Michael

2. Hi Maddy!

Well this comment is wayyyy overdue so I’ll keep it super short! I’m very excited about your video today from the storyboard you showed us in class. To sum up the feedback from this morning, I think your biggest area of focus should be the tone you are going to create because that will basically convey your entire argument, your attitude towards OCD, etc. Love the voiceover idea—definitely overlap the multitude of conversations going on in your head! Let me (and Michael) know when you’ve decided on an ending! Since we’re too invested at this point, hehe.