The Internship (& Writing)

I think about writing a lot. Whether it be writing for the Daily or my classes, I write every single day. Lately, I’ve done a lot of professional writing, and I’m really starting to value the experiences I’ve had throughout college because of it.

The past month has been absolutely consumed by my internship search. It’s really stressful (also kind of fun though….I’ll get back to that). Honestly, I feel like I should be getting four credits for all of the “recruitment” stuff I do. When I went to the fall expo earlier this month, I had notes written down about each company I wanted to talk to. That’s writing example number one. When I talked to recruiters, they always wanted to hear more about my experiences with the Daily. Writing example number two. If I was lucky enough to have second contact with a recruiter, it was usually over email. Writing example number three. If they liked my emails, I would be invited for another interview, one I would have to prepare for more. Writing example number four. If I have to submit a cover letter online, then there’s more writing. It goes on and on and on…

All of this is stressful, but I think I handled it all fairly well because of my experience with writing. I didn’t feel nervous every time I hit the “send” button on an email because I was confident that my message would be understood clearly. I wasn’t anxious that my cover letter wasn’t good enough because I liked the way it turned out. Being able to communicate through writing is so wonderful. As someone who occasionally trips over words while talking, I enjoy mulling over thoughts and cleanly typing them out. I’ve really enjoyed this year’s internship search because I’ve been more confident. Confidence is so important when it comes to career-related activities.

I’m pursuing a profession where writing ability is very important, but I’m starting to notice how important it is for anyone trying to get a job. Regardless of your major or career, you’re going to need to send emails and write cover letters. I’m thankful for the writing opportunities I’ve had, because I’d be lost without them.

Kelly Hall

I'm a junior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. I love writing about community events, especially those involving sports. On campus, I spend most of my time at the Michigan Daily, where I'm a sports editor and writer.

One thought to “The Internship (& Writing)”

1. Kelly — I empathize with the overload of ‘future-stuff’, although our career-furthering endeavors do take a different shape. In music school, summer is all about intensives and music festivals/programs. Instead of interviews, we have auditions; we get asked about repertoire instead of relevant classes. But even though the process to obtaining a spot in a festival is different than getting an internship, writing is still involved. Applications often include essays about the reason behind your choice in a performance degree, preparing repertoire requires research into the translation and previous interpretations. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that writing is applicable to all fields. It is quite the uniting factor!