Yearning to Appeal

My source material is an essay response, rigid and formulaic, designed to answer a question and not to intrigue an audience. With my repurposing project however, I hope to achieve the exact opposite. But where do I begin? Well, before any video can be made, a script needs to be written. It can be difficult to visualize the final project from some written words on a page, I know, but it needs to be done nonetheless. So keeping my goal of beautifully flowing poetic text in mind, I stripped away all the bulky analytics from my essay response, leaving only the pretty words and elegant analogies.

What is left? A style I am not used to writing, at least, not used to writing recently. For class papers I am so used to a certain form of retort, but this video script requires something else entirely. The text has to be interesting yet not overwhelming, to entertain the audience and at the same time inform them. And so it has been quite an interesting journey so far, trying to reach this happy medium. However I think I have relied too much on the pretty sounding side and haven’t included enough of the key information I wanted to get across to my audience. I am trying to figure out how to weave these facts in without weighing down the light drifting narration style that I am going for. Who knew that walking these two worlds could be so intricate.

Rachel Hutchings

Los Angeles born, Ann Arbor raised. I'm a film student at the University of Michigan and an ardent music junkie on the side. I'm sure you'll catch me at local gigs around town.

2 thoughts to “Yearning to Appeal”

1. Hey Rachel,

I really love your project so far and I think the poetic language is accomplishing your goal of intriguing audience. However I see what you mean by needing to weave in informational text. That mesh of poetry and information will be a fine line to walk, but I think perhaps if you figure out and focus on what information you want to include first, it will become easier. Once you know the key facts you want to inform your audience with, you can identify the method or text that will best convey that idea in a poetic manner.

2. Hi Rachel,
    I agree with Anna. I think your script is really beautiful so far. I also think you can still provide more background information on neorealism without making the content too heavy. Of course, once you start making your video, things will start coming together. At that point, you can decide if you want to cut certain things out. My recommendation right now is just to add more facts into your script, create your video, see if you like how things come together, then cut and revise: )