Academic Writing…I Forgot About You

Lisa Simpson is conveying what I fear will be my feelings after the Gateway course is over. I agree with these statements completely. What is academic writing again? I have been having so much fun exploring different genres that I have forgotten what it is like to write something like an argumentative essay or a critical analysis. I first got this feeling when I was writing an essay for another class. It was a product analysis and I found it difficult to keep my tone and voice professional versus what I have been doing for the repurposing and remediation projects.

With that being said, I enjoy that our assignments are not as conventional as an academic essay. I feel as though throughout the rest of the minor I will be able to engage with more work on academic writing, but I think that starting off with the Gateway course opens a lot of doors in my development as a writer. I did not expect this much freedom going into the course, so all of my ambitions of exploring creative/ free writing have been explored.

What I hope I am improving on most is my understanding of finding my own voice and tone and learning new genres of writing. This course has forced me to think outside of the box and I think that is exactly what I needed in order to develop as a versatile writer. I have also learned how to use certain technology that I never thought I would use. Who would have known that “alt-tag” would become a part of my everyday vocabulary! At this point in the minor I think that my writing has improved in the area of creativity. I have never been one to journal or write for fun, so the fact that things like writing this blog post come a little easier to me signifies that I am learning and becoming more comfortable with writing.

Allison Skaggs

Hello all! My name is Allison Skaggs and I am a junior at Michigan. I am from Orange County, California and decided to come to Michigan for a different kind of college experience! Currently, I am on the women's varsity water polo team and plan on majoring in Sport Management. Some things I enjoy during my time off are reading, swimming, attending sports games, and spending time with friends and family.

One thought to “Academic Writing…I Forgot About You”

1. I totally agree that jumping back into academic writing will be a shock to the system. Although, I kind of miss the structure of academic writing in a weird way – I know, I’m a nerd. I definitely think the gateway course was eye-opening as well as challenging in terms of exploring other genres of writing. Film is SO hard. Wow. I’m glad you are learning a lot as well. Do you think you will start journaling or writing for fun after this semester or during the rest of your college career? I think I have found that the reflective writing we do, including in-class and these blog posts, is somewhat therapeutic and enjoyable.