Blog 8: Using New Media

As I have dived into this Remediation Project, the technology part has definitely been the hardest. Not that I don’t like technology, because I do, but learning new forms of technology or technological platforms while learning a new digital genre and style… is hard on hard. Thinking about it feels like remediaception.

But then I got right down to it and tried out the new platforms and, when I did this, I found surprising success. I started out drawing out what I envisioned. I used the New York Times article on presidential candidates (see last blog post) as a template. I reverse outlined the article, looking closely at the digital rhetoric used, and to what purpose. I thought about the NYTimes audience as well, and I thought about mine. I decided I needed something that was more friendly to the layperson, no even assuming prior knowledge of certain institutions or posts.

So my second step was to I draw up a brief mock-up of what I wanted my remediation to look like. From there, I went online to see what website creators like Wix.com or Weebly.com were capable of, stylistically, spacially, and in terms of audible and visual components. I found a really cool fit on Wix.com, in which I could incorporate a really modern look and still make it feel accessible and straightforward.
I like where this is going, and I think technology is on my team now. It doesn’t feel like inception of remedia now. It feels more like exploring something that isn’t too complicated and isn’t too unknown. Most importantly, I’ve found a platform that can achieve the purpose of my remediation project, and which can be accessible and useful for my intended audience. Now comes the work.

2 thoughts to “Blog 8: Using New Media”

1. Hey Wyatt,

I actually laughed when you said that this project is like remediaception. I feel the exact same way! I totally like technology and feel like I know a lot about it (probably because our generation grew up with it) but learning a new one is definitely not easy.

I’m glad you’ve found success re-engineering your New York Times example. It seems like Wix is a great website builder for what you’re looking for and I think it’s great that you’ve found a template that works for what you’re going for, both stylistically and spacially. Similarly, I feel like I’m pretty comfortable with Squarespace and although I have a lot of work ahead of me, I similarly feel like the technology is finally on my side. Do you know what your next steps are going to be? I look forward to hearing more about your project in upcoming blog posts!

2. Hi Wyatt! I’m glad you found out a website platform that works for you! I know that you were looking to do a few things that were pretty complicated, so it’s cool that you were able to figure out how to do it on Wix.

Though I’m always on my laptop, I agree that regardless of how tech-savvy you are, it’s kind of hard to learn new technology. I’ve definitely struggled with some of this stuff, but I think learning these new processes will help me in the future.