Blogging is hip.

Blogging is still a concept that I’m not entirely sure of. I think there is this connotation of blogging as solely an online journal – where I picture tumblr users talking about their problems or an eager traveller documenting their photos and adventures. I’ve never thought of blogging as a process. But really it is.

Blogging can be whatever you make it, which is what I love about it. I’m so used to writing having to be aimed at some specific end-goal (a paper, a poem, an A in a class), but in this way I’ve come to forget the processes behind writing and my thoughts about what I’m doing. Blogging is a way for me to synthesize the process of writing, rather than just the piece that I’m working on. I really like this aspect of blogging, because it isn’t forced and it doesn’t have to be professional, it just has to be me. I even started my own private blog to document my life, in a non-diary way, yet more-so as a process of growing as a person. I agree with Sullivan that blogging can be really a scary connection to the world since it is instant and draws negative feedback many times, but also I believe blogging can be a private reflection. I disagree that a successful blog has to balance itself between a writer’s own take on the world and others, I think blogs should be someone’s place to be completely themselves. We have enough conformity and give-and-take in the real world, blogging shouldn’t have to follow these rules. I would be happier if all blogs were truly their own writers, not writing to try to follow a norm or so that others will read it and you will become blog-famous.

I’m not saying that opinions can’t change, because obviously they can, based on new research or perspectives, however we shouldn’t force bloggers to change their views to fit their readers. This follows Didion’s view of “Why I write,” where he begins by stating how that phrase is so lovely because of the use of the sound of “I.” He goes on to say that writing is the act of saying I, of imposing oneself upon other people. I agree, I think writing is a way of expressing your beliefs and opinions in a way that is individual to yourself and your experiences (which also goes along with Orwell’s Why I Write).

At first I thought blogging was a way to become noticed, to have your thoughts change opinions. But this isn’t true, and I wish more people would view blogging as a process of becoming an individual, of synthesizing your own thoughts rather than trying to conform to others. This is what I’ve come to see of blogging, and this was really furthered after I started my own blog (which I hope no one EVER sees). It has been a learning experience for me.

My face if anyone ever finds my blog:

hands

Lexi Wung

Lexi is a senior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. She will be joining the Teach For America Baltimore Corps after graduation to teach High School English. She will also be receiving her masters degree concurrently from Johns Hopkins.