Book Recommendations Anyone?

Hello fellow writing minors! My mom has always taught me that the best way to learn how to write is to read. And seeing how we’re all a bunch of writers, I figured this blog would be a good place to seek out some reading recommendations.

I am specifically looking for memoir recommendations. For my capstone project I am writing a memoir. I would like to continue writing the memoir after the semester is over and would appreciate some reading inspiration. I’m not looking to read a memoir written by someone who was famous – since I’m not famous – and so fame will not be the reason my memoir is successful. Rather, I am looking for a memoir that was successful because the writer had a story worth telling and told it well.

That being said… with vacation coming up… feel free to comment if you have any book recommendations in general! It would be great if you could elaborate a bit on what it’s about/ why you liked the book. Hopefully this will be useful for anyone looking for some book recommendations as well!

2 thoughts to “Book Recommendations Anyone?”

1. I’d definitely recommend This is All: The Pillowbook of Cordelia Kenn by Aidan Chambers. It’s not a memoir, but it’s realistic fiction written in the format of pieced together diary entries. It might be of help, but either way it’s a fantastic coming of age story and probably my favorite novel of its genre.

2. Nina,

Look into “It’s What I Do” by Lynsey Addario. I haven’t read it yet, but it’s been on my reading list for a while. The Skimm said of it, “A memoir that reads like a novel, from a woman who’s photographed every war zone there is. Not a light read, but a good one.”

This memoir might be helpful to you in terms of its style – a ton of memoirs read like an autobiography or a personal history, and few read like a book, so one that reads more like prose or fiction might provide a good model for what you’re trying to accomplish. Also, if I remember correctly, you once traveled abroad to work with a doctor and some needy children, so the subject matter might be of interest to you as well.