Braving the Adobe User Interface

I really don’t like the way the various Adobe programs are set up. The minimal aesthetic is not conducive to me learning how to use the program.

That being said, I have had to use Illustrator, and to a lesser extent Photoshop, in a past Digital Drawing class. But in that class I wasn’t creating my piece within that program–I was only editing/filling in with colors. So, in starting out my journey to “illustrate-but-not-really” vignette #1 I sought out some help YouTube style.

Funny story, I began in Illustrator and then halfway through this video I realized his help was for Photoshop. It’s been a long day. I’m still not sure which is program is more the norm for digital drawings, but I’ll just go with what feels right. Mostly I spent a few long hours experimenting with different brushes in both programs. To be very frank, it was more difficult than YouTube guy is making it out to be, especially because I don’t have a fancy touch pad to apply different pressures with.

[Aside: my art friend literally just walked in while I’m writing this, and apparently there are tablets of some sort available for rent from the Duderstadt. I must look into this further.]

digital sketch
Photoshop Practice
digital sketch
Illustrator Practice

Overall, given my lack of touch pad my sketches turned out pretty okay. I might try to mix certain aspects from both programs, though my experience with ended up a bit more satisfactory than with Photoshop so we’ll see. ¬†In both, I had a lot of trouble getting the right consistency for the mist I want separating top and bottom, but I was able to achieve more precise line work in Illustrator on the plants. With the brush in Photoshop, it was hard to tell which line editing tool would do what and also where precisely the line would start in relation to my cursor.

My other mock ups, as well as the hand-drawings I did for this vignette, turned out alright. However, The Blog God tells me the pdf combo file is just too big to share it here. Shucks.

Sketching everything out in a brainstorm format has really helped me decide which path to go with for certain things, especially with this digital drawing and with the cubist one (though the latter might change direction a bit still). I’m now more firm on specific subject and content for each piece, which is the most important thing to establish for going forward.

Emily Post

Mostly books and buildings, with a hefty dose of veggie foods.

2 thoughts to “Braving the Adobe User Interface”

1. Emily, thanks for sharing the Youtube video along with some of your initial work. I skimmed through the video and finally understand what you mean by digital illustrations! And with so many editing features, brushes, textures, colors, and other options available at the click of a button, I also understand why illustrators are moving to predominately digital mediums. I have already learned so much, and we are just getting starting with the projects. Good luck this week as you continue to work on figuring out this software and perfecting your design. I am really looking forward to seeing your artful interpretations of the vignettes.

2. Hi Emily,
    From my past experiences, Photoshop is better at/ more for image editing and Illustrator, thus, more for file organization. I often edit my images in Photoshop and then bring them in as jpg.’s to illustrator to format them in a document or for a project. It looks like you are well on your way to creating a system to make you vignettes! I commend you on your tackling of the Adobe suites in the middle of a semester like you are. I would have panicked under the time commitment. I encourage you to remember what you are learning, though, because the Adobe suites are great tools to have in your belt come future projects. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.
    Best!!!
    -Caroline