Introduction to Music Production

My project at this point is in a fairly unique situation where I am immersing myself in not merely one virtually foreign technology, but two – video and audio recording equipment. The former I have been forced to engage with by way of the storyboarding mock-up assignment. The latter was left vacant… until, that is, I read this blog prompt.

So rather then working on my storyboard, I found myself spending my Saturday night holed up in the Duderstadt’s Electronic Music Studio as my friend walked me through the obscene amount of dials, switches, and buttons that make up an audio mixing board. While this was far from the first time I’ve been in that studio, it’s the first time I’ve invested myself in actually figuring out how it all works.

Although it did nothing but postpone the writing of my storyboard, which I will now likely spend TONIGHT hold up in a library finishing, this ordeal did open my eyes to one thing: as sharp as learning curves may be, there is a curve for a reason, and with enough effort you’ll get to the end of it. Sure enough, although I still probably cannot tell you the difference between an EQ-3 and an EQ-8, I think I can serviceably record a song, which is definitely the first step for me to take.

Furthermore, this lesson helped me gain a fuller understanding of the beat-making software on my computer, Ableton, my experience with which previously consisted of me opening up a new file, plopping out a few notes on my MIDI keyboard, getting frustrated, and calling it a day. But, considering that an audio mixing board is just a physical version of Ableton’s many filters, this newfound experience will hopefully help me with the background music for my project.

The running motif within my blog group regarding the remediation process has more or less been that “risk-taking is good”, particularly with regards to this process, and if anything this experience has just continued to confirm that. By taking this risk with a new technology, I’ve realized that it wasn’t quite so daunting as I thought it would be, and maybe, just maybe, having taken this risk will increase the chances that my other major risk – the project itself – will be a little bit more palatable.

2 thoughts to “Introduction to Music Production”

1. Hi Chad,

I think things often seem much more daunting until we make some progress with them, and then we often realize they aren’t so bad. (Ex: every paper I’ve ever written in college, large projects, etc.) Once you dip one toe in, it’s a lot easier to submerse your foot. (Is this a common figure of speech? I feel like no…but we can roll with it). Regardless, I’m glad you decided to take a risk and start recording some audio for your project. I really think you’ll be able to create something awesome, and you’ll probably end up surprising yourself with what you uncover your capabilities are. I have no idea what Ableton is, but it sounds awesome, and even if the project doesn’t turn out amazingly, you’ll be well-versed in a new software that most people don’t know how to use. (Can you say marketable skill?) Yes.

2. I think it’s absolutely awesome that you’re immersing yourself in video and audio recording equipment. Recording music is definitely an amazing skills to have. This past summer I gave garage band a try and it was one of the hardest things I’ve attempted to use. Not that I have any background in music production whatsoever…I think finding friends/mentors that are well acquainted with the equipment will definitely be a huge asset. Being shown something is much faster than searching online for the right tutorial. You’ve got this. Excited to see your end result : )