I’ve Always Been Bad at Titling Articles

I think my overall view of writing has changed, and that’s a good thing. Writing is a much broader term than I initially thought it was, and that includes making things like videos. I’ve learned a lot about video editing (er, I guess vodcast editing?) but I think that that will be valuable to me as a writer moving forward. I will no longer watch a video embedded in a NYT article and assume the written part of the article was the most difficult thing to produce. This has been my first time playing with iMovie, and I’m really glad that I finally have a base knowledge of how the program works.

When it comes to writing, I haven’t done very much strict academic writing this semester, but I’m OK with that. I think that growing all facets of my writing will automatically improve any academic writing I do. I also think that academic writing won’t be very applicable to my life following graduation in a year and a half. I hope that writing (in general) is always applicable, because I really enjoy writing, but I don’t think I’ll ever need a strict thesis with topic sentences ever again (unless I somehow land in grad school).

I don’t really wish I was working on any other kinds of writing right now. I think this course has done a good job of covering a few different kinds of writing, and because of the volume of writing I do outside of class, it has been a perfect fit for me.

Looney Toons duck typing.

Kelly Hall

I'm a junior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. I love writing about community events, especially those involving sports. On campus, I spend most of my time at the Michigan Daily, where I'm a sports editor and writer.

3 thoughts to “I’ve Always Been Bad at Titling Articles”

1. Hi Kelly,

I think it’s really interesting that you bring up NYT and the videos they include. I, too, used to think that it was probably easier to create that than write the article. However, after hearing everyone discuss making videos I believe that it’s really hard and really time consuming (but definitely worth it!).

Similarly, I don’t think I’ll be doing much academic writing after college, unless I end up in grad or law school. I think it’s kind of funny when you think about the education system we’ve been in all of our lives and the heavy emphasis on a certain way of writing Yet, as we grow older, we won’t write that way anymore. That’s always kind of bothered me because there have been so many times in my life where I doubt my writing ability just because of certain rules that teachers and academic institutions put in place. I guess the way that academic writing teaches us to develop an argument and support it with evidence is something that will remain after we graduate, but the thesis and three-pronged essay model will (hopefully) be out of our lives forever.

2. Hi Kelly!

I’m Hallie, and am currently a senior in the capstone course for the minor. Your post interested me, as I remember feeling intimating by the gateway course before, during, and even after completing it. In it, I was ask to do a ton of writing that I had never done before, and even forms of writing that I had never conceptualized or thought of as writing altogether, prior to being accepted to the minor. I remember my repurposing and remediating project was a huge challenge, because I had never been asked to revisit and entirely rewrite a piece I had previously written, let alone transform it into an entirely separate medium. With all of that said, however, now that I am close to completing all 5 classes in the minor, I can proudly and happily say I have learned more from the minor than I have from my major.

Learning to write in different genres, and even for and on different platforms and mediums, is a skill I will undoubtedly take into the real world. Your comment really hit home for me: “When it comes to writing, I haven’t done very much strict academic writing this semester, but I’m OK with that.” I am excited for you to try all new forms of writing, which is the most educational and beneficial aspect of the minor here at Michigan. It gives you the opportunity to choose classes you are truly interested in, and ones that break away from simply academia. I encourage you to try classes that focus on a range of writing forms, in order to find out what you truly love.

Good luck with the minor! It’s awesome 🙂

3. Hey,

I agree with everything in this. What you say about the New York Times articles, especially, speak to me. I have also had new experiences and changed perspectives regarding writing and the processes that go into it. This semester, a NYTimes article came out that was nearly identical (at least in my eyes) to the fake NYTimes article I was writing. Except, while my article was ‘fake’ in terms of its formatting and the prescribed publication, the content was and still is very much real to me. I definitely became more appreciative and even a bit envious of NYTimes journalists while looking at NYTimes articles during this process and seeing not only how incredible the writing was but how extensive, complex, and well-done the graphics, videos and additional stimuli were. These journalists, with their prizes and awards, have established themselves as brands – as we talked about in class- and have assembled entire teams around them to help them connect with their audiences, portray their exigence, and accomplish the purposes of their writing. Thanks for the post, see you tomorrow!