Mastering the Basics: Sentence Structure

As I have voiced in previous blog posts, my goal in entering the writing minor was to develop a more professional tone by mastering the basic mechanics of writing. And while I have already made noticeable strides towards achieving this goal, I still find myself regularly struggling with awkward sentence structures, as suggested by the prompt. These frustrating moments arise for me both during the initial writing process and during the revision process, and often times leave me feeling handcuffed in front of the computer.

My conscious struggle with fluidity and rhythm were most prevalent during the revision process of the repurposing piece. I began my revision process by studying the sentence structures of my model source, and then proceeded to mimic them in my own work. It was this process of actively altering my sentence structures that opened my eyes to my go-to sentence structure: complex. The more I combed through my repurposing piece, the more complex sentences I noticed, and revised. I feel this exercise of consciously writing in certain sentence structures was my first big step towards improvement. Additionally, the weekly blog posts allow for regular practice and subsequent improvement.

Alt="satiric cartoon about writing revision"

Furthermore, I hope to implement my improved writing skills into research abstracts and manuscripts written for my lab here on campus. Writing a research paper is a very extensive process and often times requires more than twenty or thirty drafts before the publisher will accept the work. However, beginning this writing process with a strong understanding of basic writing mechanics will surely speed along this revision process and cut out many unnecessary drafts.

In all, I look forward to steadily improving my writing skills in the coming semesters, and then implementing such improvements in a wide array of writing projects.

2 thoughts to “Mastering the Basics: Sentence Structure”

1. Hi Jeremy!!
    As I told Emily, sorry about getting to you so late after this post. The turkey tryptophan really got me this year :).
    I, as well, struggle with sentence structure just about every time I write. No matter how much I try to avoid it, I am constantly writing sentences that follow the same form in argument essays, which I seem to be writing a lot of this year. This standard sentence of mine will traditionally include a “thus” or “therefore” and becomes especially prevalent when I start to reach conclusions in my writing.
    I think the trick to making sentences flow, within each sentence and within the writing of an essay at whole, is to write from the heart in a first draft, then work through a second time, sentence by sentence, molding each into something that actually sounds good. That’s a strategy that I have found, which works well for me but of course everyone works differently.
    Good to hear from ya. See you in class on Tuesday!
    -Caroline

2. I agree with Caroline. It’s way too easy to get bogged down in worrying about the form of what you’re trying to write and then it takes way too long to get any actual content out. However, I know you’ve said that you like to revise while you write the first draft (same here), so this might not be your best first option–but always something to try as a last resort.
    There is definitely a lot of merit in the idea of barreling through and getting the content out in the first go and then fine tuning the particular forms afterward, though.