Meditating on remediating

I am very excited to begin working on my remediation project! The topic of my first project had to do with the nature of perfection in the arts and how the idea of ‘being perfect’ can be damaging to students. For the remediation, I plan on making a podcast that contains interviews with various SMTD professors.

I chose to interview professors over students because I would like to add another layer of “proof” to my argument; that is, when students hear from their own professors (who are all accomplished, fufilled individuals) that mistakes and instances of imperfect aren’t just okay, but sometimes necessary. This will not only provide comfort for my audience, but also bolster my own ethos (and the ethos of my piece?).

The two models for my source come from my educational/intellectual radio station of choice: NPR. The first model is the radio show This American Life. This American Life is an episodic radio show. Each episode follows a theme and includes a variety of narratives, essays, and even comedy routines that correspond with that theme. I love This American Life because of the way it ties seemingly disparate subjects together and the intimate way the show presents them (interviews, personal testimonies, etc.). Ira Glass is pretty cool too.

My other model is a specific episode from the radio show Fresh Air with host Terry Gross. The episode¬†features alt-pop singer/pianist Regina Spektor. The interview is very personal and feels more like a conversation than a formal recording. Spektor outlines her life story, basically, and talks about how her past influences her present musical composition. I’m going for a similar tone in my interviews, although it may be a more formal because I am talking to my professors.

The process of the remediation project definitely won’t be easy, but I’m excited to get started!

Emily Cotten

Emily Cotten is a sophomore Vocal Performance major at the University of Michigan. She hails from North Carolina and enjoys reading, writing, and blasting opera hits in her car while driving down the highway.

2 thoughts to “Meditating on remediating”

1. Emily,
    I am glad to hear that you are excited about your remediating project! With regards to the details of your project, I like your overall plan. Hearing about imperfections and mistakes that teachers made trying to balance everything in their life as an undergraduate, or even in the present, would undoubtedly help support your claim with additional proof. Personally, I always find it to be very relieving to hear how my mentors overcame their struggles. However, one possible thing to consider is interviewing a teacher or two who are not of the SMTD, as it would help attract the broad audience of young struggling adults (unless you’re specifically targeting those who are in the School of music, theater and dance). As for the models that you are looking to mimic, I think that they are excellent choices, especially since they both are informal and personal in nature. I can’t wait to see how your project goes!

2. Hey Emily,
    Adding first hand accounts from your professors is a great way to add another dimension to your piece. I agree that this will thicken the “proof” in your argument, as well as provide examples of how failure can eventually lead to success. Professors are probably a tad more accomplished that students, but not saying us students have overcome some amazing odds as well! I ended up having to do multiple takes to get the narration sound right in my repurposing video, so I wish you well with your podcast narration!