Pank No. 7

After reading the drafting and designing your project chapter, it has become easier to envision my Eportfolio and more importantly the drafting process. I look at drafts many times and consider them to be close to the final version of my projects, essentially I view them as completed mini projects. Then, when I receive feedback I am reluctant to take into account any of the advice because I consider my draft to be final. This is a problem I’ve had for a really long time, I don’t take advice well on my writing solely because I become too connected to certain phrases or paragraphs or thoughts and I feel that the project wont’ be the same without them.

The chapter helped me to create a new version of a rough rough draft, the rough cut. I like the idea of having a rough cut because it helps me bridge a gap between thoughts and a final project. It was also really nice to visualize how difficult it can be to edit rough drafts (that have been edited too much and shortened, etc) that have been completed too much already. For example in the chapter it talks about how students might ask to see more of a video, however if you have already condensed the video into a 2 minute clip you’ve limited yourself.

For me, the difficulties with my remediation project will come with the overall editing of a video. I don’t have much experience with apple video editing software and I’m nervous that I’ll cut something or make changes that others think should be different, and I won’t be able to get the full clips back. I’ll have to do a lot of research on apple editing software. I’m also nervous that I won’t be able to create a professional video due to my overall lack of editing knowledge. I know what I want the video to look like but the execution will be difficult.

(me in the Diag tomorrow trying to interview people)

cameraman falling

I also saw many similarities between the “preparing for rough draft feedback” section on page 110 and the reflections that we create for our eportfolio projects. Discussing who the intended audience, purpose, sources, design choices, mode and media, and genre convention were in my project is a great summary of what the reflection covers. These in-depth sections in the book greatly help guide how to write the reflections for my portfolio.

Furthermore, the visual with the Pank No. 7 poster was a great example of how to use constructive peer feedback for revisions. I liked that in the poster the revisions didn’t have to be huge, the peers were able to give small advice that made huge differences. I love giving advice and ideas to others so it was great to see how to go give constructive feedback, and I hope others will do the same for me. The Pank No. 7 poster showed how it can be simple to enact advice from others, a problem that I have that I discussed earlier in this blog.

Lexi Wung

Lexi is a senior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. She will be joining the Teach For America Baltimore Corps after graduation to teach High School English. She will also be receiving her masters degree concurrently from Johns Hopkins.