Photoshop Pros & Cons

The greatest thing about photoshop is the fact that it is now a verb. That’s when you really know that you’ve made it as a product.

I’m not entirely sure what support resources means, but Adobe does have tutorials, which are not that helpful for novices. I have a few friends who are photoshop gurus who may be willing to teach me their ways over the weekend. Since photoshop will not be the bulk of my project, I’m not too concerned. I want visual aspects to enhance what I’m saying though, and if they turn out high-quality, then maybe they will become the focal point. I will probably use wix to display whatever it is that I create because I’ve already used Pages, and Indesign seems to have a steep learning curve.

Wikipedia defines Adobe Photoshop as a raster graphics editor, and the fact that I don’t know what raster means, may be a sign that I shouldn’t be using this software. So far I’ve learned about selection, layers, “airbrushing,” and implementing text. That’s really about it. Everything else I am very very confused about. Even after watching tutorials, there always seems to be a mismatch between what I’m doing and what the videos are doing. I think it’s the volume of options and checkboxes and buttons that make it so intimidating. I’m never quite sure how a tools name is indicative of its function. Usually when I am confused, I don’t know why until a text box pops up that gives me hints while simultaneously being condescending. That being said, I like that users can have multiple tabs open. I like that users can save their work as an image (and in many different file types). It’s definitely flexible in that sense. The ability to select items and create a synthesis of images is key to the visuals I want to include in my remediation project. In this sense, Photoshop is coming in handy. It wasn’t expecting Photoshop to be extremely accessible and straightforward, though I was hoping that it would get easier to use after about an hour of tinkering around. That was not the case.

The takeaway: I might have to use something else, maybe even handcrafted, visual art, to achieve what I want. It may be more hassle than help to use Adobe Photoshop. If anyone has suggestions for other graphic design software, NOT GIMP, please let me know.

Kennedy Clark

Kennedy is a Sociology major with an ineptness for exposition and an excessive love for Michigan basketball and pretzels.

2 thoughts to “Photoshop Pros & Cons”

1. Hi Kennedy,
    I don’t know much about the medium I’m using either (iMovie) so I can really sympathize with you. I think I initially underestimated how time consuming it would be to figure out how to actually use these softwares, and how labor intensive it is to make a project like this. Like Photoshop, there are so many elements of iMovie that it is difficult to know which I need to learn to actually complete the remediation. Hopefully, we can both learn a few basic functions and that will be enough to make something that looks professional!

Lauren

2. I’m sorry to hear that Photoshop is giving you trouble, but I’m also kind of glad I am not the only one. I haven’t looked at any of the video tutorials, I honestly didn’t even know they existed. I might try and use those to help with what I’m struggling with. Unfortunately I don’t have any great pieces of advice, I learned what I know by spending a lot of time on Photoshop. My main tool is the magnetic lasso that I can cut out images from one picture and then drag them into another (but then I still have to format it and it gets complicated with multiple layers). I would recommend trying that tool out on a few images to get comfortable with it, but that will probably rake some time. That might not be worth it since you said you don’t need it for the main parts of your project, but I’d give it a shot before deciding how much further you want to explore it.