Planning is my Passion

One thing about me that you should probably know: I absolutely love planning. I am the queen of color-coding and sticky notes. Staples is one of my favorite stores (next to Target, of course). I also spent a pretty penny in order to get the cover of my Erin Condren life planner monogrammed and set with metallic paper. I wouldn’t call it an obsession, just a perfectly healthy passion for planning everything. *cue heavy breathing*

meme cat heavy breathing

That being said, I was super pumped after reading the chapter in Writer/Designer on “Drafting and Revising Your Project” because it talks a lot about planning for your major project; in this case our e-Portfolio. There were two places within the chapter that stood out to me and changed how I thought about my e-Portfolio, the first being the rough draft checklist. Some of the things on the list were pretty basic and something I would check without having to think about it (such as finalizing my written content). However, other items on the checklist made me re-think all of the individual parts of the e-Portfolio.

For example, creating a style guideline to follow throughout the e-Portfolio and bringing attention to/making a plan for the navigation of the website. I am a huge proponent of a cohesive aesthetic feel to a website, however, I have never thought about creating an actual style guideline for my e-Portfolio site. I have worked on one before for my current marketing job on campus, so I think following a guide similar to that one would be really effective and beneficial to me! Right now I am thinking of following neutral tones that are calming. I want the people who visit my site to feel relaxed and invited to read my work in an approachable atmosphere. The topic of mental health can be such a scary thing for people; I want to keep the tone of the e-Portfolio as calming and inviting as possible!

As far as the navigation of the site goes, I remember taking a web design class in middle school (obviously SO outdated compared to the technology of 2015) and we discussed the importance of navigation when it comes to websites. We worked through an exercise where we acted as an audience member viewing our page and tried to imagine where their eyes would be led to on the page based on our design choices and where they would be most likely to click first after reading the homepage. Looking through the lens of an audience member really helped clear up any discrepancies I had with the navigation of my little 2007 website. Although the technology may have changed, I think practicing the same exercise will be very helpful for me when I am creating my e-Portfolio navigation. Also, sticky notes are always a must.

Ultimately, I am super pumped to start working on my e-Portfoilo, but also weary of the time needed to execute my dreams for this website. I think with a lot of pre-planning and use of my prior knowledge, I will be able to make my e-Portfolio the perfect representation of me.

2 thoughts to “Planning is my Passion”

1. Maddy-

I’m definitely not a planner by any means so I’m super jealous of your passion for organization. You bring up a very cool idea about designing a layout based on where you want to guide someone’s attention. Have you thought about any centralized themes or color schemes you’re interested in? I can’t wait to see what you come up with; fashion lovers are usually the most creative people!

Bonus bias: For aesthetically pleasing & super easy to follow websites, check out http://www.beyonce.com. (Bey does everything best).

2. Maddy,

I totally loved the checklist in Writer/Designer! I found it to be a really helpful guide for thinking about the next steps of our re-mediation and ePortfolio projects, and it will definitely help plan out where to go from here.

As for your website, I definitely am feeling the neutral color idea. It’s such a good way to make a page feel warm and inviting, and I think with the content of your re-purposing and re-mediation projects, it’s really important for visitors to feel welcome. I also think you shouldn’t underestimate your middle school web design class (I find myself wishing I had taken web design right now)–even if the technology has changed, you can take a lot of the general design principles and skills and apply those to an updated context.

Ok, this is a weird idea, but (because you mention your use of sticky notes), would you incorporate that into your ePortfolio? Wix has a way to make pictures look like they’re taped to the page, so there might be other sites (or maybe Wix itself) that have options allowing you to make sticky notes. Just a thought!

Excited to see what comes of your ePortfolio and how you put yourself into it!

Michael