Project Remediation

I was hesitant to think too much about the remediation project until I had fully completed my repurposing project because, to be quite honest, I wasn’t too sure about what my repurposing project would finalize as in itself.  I hadn’t known what genre my project was going to transform into until many weeks into that project.  I realize, though, that this time around with the remediation project, I can not be as jumpy with ideas and that it will be much more productive to put a lot of thought into what I want the final project to look like before I start it.

I think it is natural practice for me to let ideas organically create themselves in my work because of my roots in design.  When something isn’t working the way I want it to, I let the materials and composition of what I’m working with take shape and form all by themselves.  This is often what I do in my creative writing assignments, too.  You’d be surprised by some of the things that this method can produce.

Like I said before, though, I think this remediation project should have a bit of a more concrete idea at the start of my work with it.  And since the completion of the repurposing project, I have finally had some time to work on this idea.

I am interested in doing one of a couple of things.  My first idea is a picture book.  I would go home during the Thanksgiving Break and snap photos of all of the locations  I discussed throughout my repurposing project and compile them into a flip book sort of format.  I would potentially sift through old family photos or news paper articles of major time period events going on during the stories and memories that I brought up throughout the term of my years reflected upon in that project 1 and insert those into the flip book as well.  Doing this will allow the “old” and the “new” pictures to be in conversation with one another and help the reader to sense a common theme of change throughout my life.A picture of Anima Series speaker in a dark auditorium giving a motivational lecture.

Another idea I have is creating a video.  During this video, I envision myself sitting on a stool on a dark stage with a single light on myself and the stool (setting the stage as if I was talking out to an entire theater of listeners) (a scene similar to the one that the speakers of Anima Series presents their messages in and this is pictured in the image above)  and I would say some sort of message, either pertaining to the quickness at which life passes and things change, or I would talk about my dog and her years here on earth, as she was definitely the inhibitor and inspiration behind my repurposing project.  I would set the stage as a casual format for the video with more of a “talking over coffee” type of vibe.  The video inspiration that I am working with right now is a Soul Pancakes Production that you can find right here.

The main difference between the two options is the subjectivity in audience.  The picture flip book would be more geared towards my family and close friends.  The video can be related to by a much broader audience: anyone with a dog or anyone who experiences the quickness of life could find importance or inspiration in what I would be saying in the video.

Both options allow me to explore my interests in connecting my passion for visual and designed arts as well as the creative aspects of writing.

Caroline Petersen

Caroline is a contributing writer to the Sweetland Minor in Writing Blog. She is an architect in training and spends a lot of her time sipping on cappuccinos and discussing elements of malfunctioning building features. She is a city girl who spent her elementary summers in the middle of Iowa at her aunt and uncles farm. She is a woman of many (unusual) facets that are traditionally fairly useless.

2 thoughts to “Project Remediation”

1. Both ideas sound fantastic. The spotlit stool seems really dramatic, like it could provoke a lot of emotion throughout a wider audience as you said. The picture book idea sounds really cute though. The only thing that might affect that is the time of year–so the photos might not project the same feel as your stories if they’re too out of season.

2. Caroline, I can relate to you in that most of my ideas arise during the writing process as well, and not from pre-writing work. Let my proposal and final creative nonfiction piece for the repurposing project be a testament to this fact. The point you raise about the importance of preparation for the repurposing project, though, is very true. Strong preparation could potentially save several hours of work later on, especially considering the increased length of time it takes to edit videos as opposed to papers.

As for your specified remediation ideas, I feel both would allow you to display your passion for visual and design arts. Perhaps the deciding factor will be whether you choose to continue working on the book you created for your repurposing project, or whether you would prefer starting some new. I think both are excellent ideas. Good luck as you begin the remediation process.