Remediation – Finding Good Examples and Ideas

In my last post, I spoke briefly about an example that had caught my attention thus far. It was the “Class Matters” topic from the New York Times. Like other New York Times topics, this series focuses on one subject through different perspectives and digital mediums. There are graphs of varying complexities and types of information. Like many New York Times topics, there is a good amount of perspective supplied by ‘regular’ people, projected through the words or digital rhetoric of the journalist. For example, here, the journalist provides ways getting the story. There is a slideshow with audio from the words of an every day person. This is then followed up by an analytical research piece by the journalist. For me, I see this and I try to think of how I can remediate my project to create a supplement to the research I have done and the product I have thus far created. It would be cool to put together some interviews and voice over the opinions and outlooks of real people because that would  interesting and would provide more perspective for the my readers, who have only heard the story from me.
Some other things that I’ve looked at: Humans of New York (http://www.humansofnewyork.com/), for Brandon Stanton’s unique ability to ask the right questions and depict humans through their experiences and a snapshot on the street. Another pretty cool example of digital rhetoric that informs is the playlist that the New York Times offers when click on a video through one of their umbrella ‘sections’ (i.e. NY Region or Travel or Technology). It will play a video for the user, accompanied by words on the screen and a caption bubble on the side. When the short video ends, it was move on to the next one. Each video is interesting and new, created by Times journalists recently under the umbrella topic (here, called “Channels”)Take this video for example: http://www.nytimes.com/video/realestate/100000003981972/block-by-block-fort-greene.html?playlistId=1194811622241. Notice that as soon as you finish watching, it will smoothly play another video. About 10 minutes and three videos later, you will have learned a pretty decent amount about Real Estate and some history of Fort Greene (although skewed by those interviewed, and I really encourage you to read about the Walt Whitman Houses and the Auburn Homeless Shelter there…), Broadway, and Birds in New York. Admittedly, it seems a bit random as you watch, and it is hard to feel as though you really took a lot from it. The digital rhetoric here, and the smoothness it exhibits is very nice though.

2 thoughts to “Remediation – Finding Good Examples and Ideas”

1. Hi Wyatt! I think that your ideas so far seem pretty out of the box, so that’s cool! You’re thinking of ways to incorporate your text with videos/voice-overs, and that gave me some ideas as well. It would be really interesting to read an article while considering the voice-over in the background. That’s something I would really enjoy trying out as a reader. I also see the benefits of creating short videos, however. I think you got it right when you said that the smoothness of a video is nice and important. That’s something I always value when I watch a video.

2. Hi Wyatt,

I think you have a great start for your remediation and it seems really unique, which is cool! To me, it seems like you’re looking to incorporate the visual and verbal aspects of your project, and that is something I was hoping to do as well. I also like that you included Humans of New York as a possible way to depict humans in their environment. From what I recall about your topic, there is a heavy emphasis on humans and the human experience, so it might be interesting for you to profile individuals. While Humans of New York is just a snapshot of an individual, it appears that you want to do a video and the example you provided from the New York Times looks great.

Have you ever created a video before? I haven’t but I imagine it must take a high level of skill to make the transitions smooth between scenes. The smoothness, as Kelly mentioned, is definitely important and I’d love to hear more about how you want to go about accomplishing that.

Overall, your remediation project sounds very interesting and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts on it!