Remediation Ruminations

I’m not sure how I’ll remediate my current project, but I’ve narrowed down my options to just two. My first choice is to create a video, or highlight reel, of some split-second decisions in sports. I could incorporate some of the wording from my repurposing project into slides for the video and start with Chris Webber calling the timeout, much like how I started my repurposing project.

Creating a video would be a great challenge for me because I’ve never done so before. Over the summer, I interned in the corporate communications department of Blue Cross Blue Shield, so I was able to watch some co-workers create videos. I did NOT realize how complex creating a three-minute video could be. After seeing others create videos, I got the itch to create one as well. I think it would be fun to learn how to use a video editing application and I can see how it could come in handy.

Challenge Accepted

On that note, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to create a video due to copyright laws and what not, but I’ll definitely try. For my model, I’m considering to work off of ESPN Top-10 style. The only reason I don’t like this model is because it doesn’t incorporate any language. That was a problem I ran into quite often when searching for models. I will continue to search.

My second idea is create a podcast. I like to practice speaking because if I pursue the career I’m planning on, presentation skills are highly important. I’ve also never created a podcast. I think I could create a three-part series, with each podcast focusing on a specific example of a decision in sports. I would talk through what I thought happened and incorporate psychological perspectives. I like this idea because I can talk through my ideas, but I still like the idea of a video because it’s so visual.

There are a quite a few podcasts I could model  my project off, like basically any of these top-ranking sports podcasts. I don’t want to model my podcast off a specific podcast because each podcast has its own style. Some are funny, some are serious, and I’m not sure what I want just yet.

Justin Bieber shrug

Kelly Hall

I'm a junior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. I love writing about community events, especially those involving sports. On campus, I spend most of my time at the Michigan Daily, where I'm a sports editor and writer.

2 thoughts to “Remediation Ruminations”

1. Hi Kelly,

I think it’s great that you have two ideas for your project. It sounds like you’ve really thought through what you hope to accomplish, and that both of these ideas can accomplish different aspects. You mentioned that your 3-minute video idea would require a certain amount of technical ability. Have you looked into the difficulty of creating a podcast? Originally, I was considering making one and I did some very surface-level research. I’d love to talk to you more about podcasts if you do choose to do that, just so I can get a little more insight into how the medium works!

I also think you pose a great point about the video not incorporating language and the podcast not incorporating visual. I wonder if there is a healthy medium between the two, because it seems that you want to have a remediation project that incorporates both visual and verbal aspects. Maybe consider doing a video and including language or voice-over? It definitely won’t be easy, but it might be a great skill to pick up! I look forward to reading more about your progress throughout the duration of the project!

1. Hey Kelly,

I remember you talking in class about these ideas as well, and thinking about how interesting these ideas are. I also remember your thinking around each project. I think it’s a theme from the blog posts that I’ve read that people have two projects in mind: one that they think is a stretch to complete (but that they would like to do, if they had the time and confidence and technical abilities) and one that they think is the safe option (and knowing that it’s the safe option, they would not prefer to do it, but also do not mind it). From class, it seems like the podcast, while it is an awesome idea, is the latter type. That being said, I think you should go for the video! It certainly will be hard and time consuming, but I’m sure you can find help. And being how interested and invested you are in sports, it should be fun to go through old videos and find clips that fit your piece. Just an idea! I am excited to help you flesh things out more in class.