Repurposed, and now Remediated

My transition from the repurposing project to the remediation project has been both slow and challenging, perhaps because I am relatively unfamiliar with digital rhetoric in an academic sense. Of course I am a regular consumer of digital rhetoric. I do, after all, use my phone everyday to read interactive journals and communicate with friends. But I have never had the opportunity to study digital rhetoric as a genre or construct a multimodal project with such focus in mind. Luckily the time is here, and I am very excited about the topic I will once again communicate: the pros and cons of preventative health care.

I plan on remediating my creative nonfiction piece into a whiteboard animation video, based on the hundreds of models seen on YouTube. The first model that tipped me off to this idea was the remediation project of former Minor in Writing student Christina Morgan. For her remediation project, she created a video in which she tells a short story while simultaneously illustrating the story on a white board. This single example of dictating over illustrations provides an excellent example of “whiteboard Digital Animation Videoanimation videos” as a whole.

Generally speaking, these videos utilize 4 modes of communication: linguistic, aural, spatial, and visual. The linguistic and aural modes are present in the spoken aspect of the video. The illustrations complement the spoken aspect, and when presented in a spatially dynamic manner, offer clarity and precision to the content of the video. This mode of digital rhetoric provides an efficient platform for communicating complex information, and is therefore well suited for the complex and often multifaceted topic of preventative healthcare.

For my video specifically, I plan to focus on the facts regarding preventative healthcare as opposed to the personal anecdotes I chose to include in my repurposing project. In that sense, my appeals will be more logical and less emotional in nature. However, all that is lost from the anecdotes will be more than made up for by the satire I plan to include. The inclusion of clever satire will allow me to freely express my style as a writer while also keeping my argument concise and limited to a reasonably lengthen video. These video are usually 2-5 minutes in length, and I will inevitably need to cut information out of my creative nonfiction piece to meet such standards. But while some information will need to be cut, I look forward to reassessing the various points of my original argument and condensing such points down into a clear and concise piece of digital rhetoric.

2 thoughts to “Repurposed, and now Remediated”

1. That sounds super interesting! Are you already familiar with the video editing chops you’ll need for this or will this be a learning experience for you?
    Are you thinking youtube, like your models? It would be interesting to see if you could incorporate the gestural mode too, by way of adding those overlay boxes at certain points which could link to support or something like that. For the life of me, I can’t think of what they’re called.

2. Hey Jeremy,
    I am super excited about your idea for this remediation project. I know that you are planning on cutting parts of your text in order to fit a 2-5 minute clip, but have you thought about creating a new body of text at whole? What if you learned the piece and then scrapped it before you started the video and tried to summarize your piece without any possible reference to the real words themselves as you are speaking? You have some very interesting options to choose from as far as actual context in terms of text and speaking.
    The drawings, on the other hand are something I am more personally concerned with within my own project which alines nicely with yours. Should we practice our drawings before hand or just show our raw skills and development of skills over the course of the project?
    Just some things to think about. I am excited to talk more about it all in class tomorrow.
    Caroline