Should I Use InDesign?

Why not make things more difficult on myself and completely change my mind for my remediation project? So, I have decided to do a rendition of “Humans of New York” however a London addition. My plan is to identify and write about the certain kinds of people I experienced in London. So, I will be taking on the voice of what could be a certain stereotype through fiction writing. To be honest the idea of writing fiction terrifies me. One would think it is simple, but what I have realized is that there is a lot that goes into writing fiction. Yes, it is fiction, but a lot of research must be done to understand the characters I wish to portray.

I think that a good medium for this topic would be a digital book. What I need to learn is how to aesthetically incorporate image and text without it looking plain Jane. I have no experience with graphic design once so ever, so this project is going to be a challenge.

The new technology I have decided to explore is Adobe InDesign. It is a desktop publishing software application produced by Adobe Systems. It can be used to create works such as posters, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers, and books. For the past few days I have been watching tutorials on how to operate Adobe InDesign, and it is a very complex program for an unexperienced and “wanna be” graphic designer. It could take a long time to completely master the program, but I am slowly getting the hang of it.

With my 30-day free trial, I hope to continue to expand my knowledge of the program. I have recently been playing around with how to incorporate and edit images along with text. Although I am at early stages of my remediation project and have no finalized what will be going into the final product of the work in InDesign, I am having “fun” practicing and getting adjusted to the program. SO, if anyone has any other suggestions of great graphic design programs for me to try out let me know!
InDesign

Allison Skaggs

Hello all! My name is Allison Skaggs and I am a junior at Michigan. I am from Orange County, California and decided to come to Michigan for a different kind of college experience! Currently, I am on the women's varsity water polo team and plan on majoring in Sport Management. Some things I enjoy during my time off are reading, swimming, attending sports games, and spending time with friends and family.

2 thoughts to “Should I Use InDesign?”

1. Hi Allison,
    I love this new idea! I agree that there is a lot that goes into fiction writing but I think once you have your characters in mind and have completed your research, it will really come together much easier than expected. As far as indesign, that sounds super difficult. This past summer I used iBook to create a digital cookbook and it was really easy to use. It provides formats and images you can swap out with others and I highly recommend using that if inDesign seems like too much. Let me know if that sounds like a good idea to you!

2. Hi Allison,
    It would seem that you are off to an amazing start to your project, and I am excited to hear more about your project’s new path in class! In terms of creating a rendition of “Humans of New York” for London, I would imagine a heavy interest on this topic could be attained from our generation in particular, and the fictional writing you put forth in your digital book should prove to be not only an interesting new challenge, but also quite fun as you explore the ins and outs of inDesign!
    Please, feel free to let me know if you have any questions regarding inDesign, I would be more than happy to help!

Henry