Spoken Word Poetry

I have thought about several possible remediation projects, and I have to say, I am a little surprised by how a spoken word poetry project has appealed to me the most. Thinking back, my only ”contact”/”exposure” to spoken word poetry was through my best friend. She was crazy about several spoken word poets. The one that really stuck with me most was Sarah Kay. I love her stage presence and the poetic nature of her script. Two of my favorite pieces by her:

“Point B”

https://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_kay_if_i_should_have_a_daughter?language=en

“An Origin Story”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esgfG3BoAPc

The thing about spoken word poetry is that it is a much more personal form of media than an investigative journalist article. The tone of my article turned out to be much more objective. So one of the major things about doing a spoken word poetry remediation project would be for me to rewrite my script to be more personal and “poetic,” much less heavy on the scientific side of things.

I would also have to think about performing my piece; spoken word poetry is about performance after all. The thing is, I have litting experience with filming things, so I’m a little intimidated by how that will work out. Perhaps I could just recruit a friend to film me with a phone. Or I could only write a script as the project itself….

Minna Wybrecht

Minna's a PreMed student at the University of Michigan. She believes in three things. Milk chocolate. Ballroom dancing. To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.

2 thoughts to “Spoken Word Poetry”

1. Hi Minna,

I think taking risks is what this remediation project is all about, and you seem to be doing exactly that with your ideas about spoken word poetry. Honestly, I’m not that familiar with this type of performance either, but from what you showed me in class I would be super excited to see what you came up with. I think country music as a theme could work really nicely in this type of spoken poetry, as well. Since country music is somewhat poetic in nature, it would seem only natural to perform a spoken version of this in your ideas for your project. I’m excited to see how it’ll evolve and eventually turn out!

2. Hi Minna,

My only real exposure to spoken word poetry performance is that one scene in “22 Jump Street” so I probably am not going to be much help in identifying the nuances of the culture (although I know that a lot of early hip hop has roots in spoken word, so maybe it does relate to me more than I’ve thought). But that right there is the whole point – I don’t think many people in this class have been exposed to spoken word poetry. And that, along with what Rebecca said above about taking risks, is why I think you should for sure perform your piece. It sounds like everyone in this blog group is stepping out of their comfort zones a bit, and since this form isn’t THAT widely known, I think you’re in a unique position where you can help bring an art form to a new audience (our class) while also creating it for it’s intended audience (spoken word aficionados?). So I’d say go for it – I know you can rent flip cameras out of the MLB or the Music Library if you want something higher in quality than an iPhone – and get the word out there. Can’t wait to see what comes together.

Chad