Stuck in a Muck of the Good Kind

Right now, I’m kind of at a stand still with my projects, as I’m still solidifying even my repurposing project. I embarked on this subject partly because I’m trying to figure out why it matters to me so much and why it should matter. I don’t think I have a complete answer to either yet. The two things I struggle with the most: Specificity and tone. Part of the specificity struggle comes from my personal view. In particular, I am still striving to integrate my personal experience of my topic of humanities and sciences into my project. With my repurposing I’m having a tough time making it less removed from myself. And so here I am with these ways I can express my argument, and I’m trying to figure out how it will all work together.

The chapter help me see these projects a bit clearer in several ways. Most importantly, I learned that there was a distinction between a rough cut and a rough draft. It’s nice to think of the process as more broken down than I thought I would be. I’m grateful for how the Writer/Designer book listed the necessary elements of each kind of rough cut. It gives me a good amount of guidance and helps me set up the things I need to get down this week. Also, It’s good to know that I’ll be able to think about my process and have it critiqued more often than not, even if it’s not completely done yet.

At the same time, thinking about the portfolio, a place where I’ll present the remediation, is making me consider what my focuses are. Thinking about my projects being of a cohesive whole is helpful in that it keeps me from losing sight of my argument and audience. So in a way they will all lead each other and give insights into how I want to present things generally. Being a visual person, I think that I’ll be able to get some insight from starting my portfolio a little bit. I’m kind of surprised at myself for not even starting it yet. Having already designed other blogs and websites through WordPress, I look forward to the freedom that Wix brings and what insights it can bring.

In the middle of all this, I’m growing more confident knowing that I’m improving in my writing. I came into this minor not because I was a good writer, but because I wanted to get better, and I believe that I am getting what I asked for out of this experience. True, I don’t think I’ll consider myself a great writer after this semester finishes, but I’ll be better than I was before. At the same time, I’ll have learned a lot about something that I’ve been interested in. And hopefully, this can turn into something amazing to present as well.

Katrina Soyangco

Katrina is a BCN and writing minor student at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. She hopes to someday become a physician, although not quite sure what kind yet. She’s not as cool as her older brother but strives to be.