The Cusp of Remediation

I must admit that it is pretty hectic having yet another huge project begin right after the culmination of another, but I guess the show must go on!

My repurposing project ended with a bang. It was very time consuming but ultimately I was very pleased with how it turned out. I have a link to the video here for those who are curious! Deciding on a video for the repurposing project makes it a little harder to decide on a medium for the remediation project, but I think I have nailed down my platform. Still wanting to incorporating writing with visuals, I toyed with the idea of doing a powerpoint before finally deciding on doing a graphic layout in the form of a blog.

As a longtime user of tumblr, I always admired the aesthetic of theme blogs. Theme blogs, which are custom made templates designed for other uses to pick and chose, have this welcoming atmosphere and friendly tone, the kind of tone I would love to have when presenting my information on film and neorealism. Many theme blogs are arranged in an objective style, catered to the viewer, so they can chose where to look and where to focus their attention on. They also feature various techniques such as hover text and post blurring that is pleasing to the eye. Here is one example of a theme blog I found particularly appealing.

From one visual representation form to another, but still centering around a mode of writing, I hope my original neorealism message will keep its appeal as it transforms one again.

Rachel Hutchings

Los Angeles born, Ann Arbor raised. I'm a film student at the University of Michigan and an ardent music junkie on the side. I'm sure you'll catch me at local gigs around town.

2 thoughts to “The Cusp of Remediation”

1. Rachel —

You’re in a very unique position as far as the remediation project due to your choice of a video for the repurposing. I think your situation speaks to the variety of modes that writing can inhabit and how all of those modes are effective, but in different ways. For instance, most people associated with the repurposing project mainly with the restructuring of the argument and/or the delivery of that argument. You not only did those things, but you also reconstructed the entire medium of your piece. It’s almost as though you combined both projects into one (which I think is a good thing!). I can’t wait to see where this presentation takes you!

2. Rachel,
    I agree with you that a video for a repurposing project does make this remediation project a bit more difficult. Nevertheless, I am glad that you still are pursuing visuals with your writing and decided to write a graphic layout in the form of a blog. Theme blogs are undoubtedly fun and interesting to create, and tumblr is a good starting point. I can’t wait to see what your final product looks like, and know that you will do a great job in doing this project.