The Wonders of iMovie

To put it simply, I have zero experience with making videos. I have had mixed feeling about it. First I thought it would be easy. Video clip, audio clip, put them together, voila! Couldn’t be too hard right?  

Then I watched my friend do it.

Of course he was adding subtitles. Each word had to match the exact second it was said. Which, needless to say, took a ton of work. Not to mention the complications of translating stuff. He wanted to incorporate both English and Mandarin subtitles. The challenge that comes with that is balancing direct translations with translations that summarize the meaning of what is said, and then adding timing of the subtitles into the equation. Fun.  

All these thoughts settled in the back of my mind as I pulled up iMovie. Of all the spoken word poetry clips I watched on Youtube, a good portion of them utilized a soundtrack and cool video effects. So I decided to broaden my horizons and try out a video-maker app.

To my relief, iMovie is pretty straightforward to use. I love how when I first opened the app, it showed a bunch of really great examples with awesome effects.

I uploaded a small clip, cut it up, and also added a few images just to practice editing. The app automatically added its own transitions and captions for me, which was absolutely awesome. It was also super easy to adjust the amount of time I wanted the video to focus on an image that I inserted.

Managing the soundtrack was just as easy. I could click and drag when I wanted the audio to start.

I could overlap audio clips, trim the audio clip to the section I wanted. And to make the transition of the audio clip, I could make the music start soft and grow louder with a simple click and drag.
This app is amazing. There is hope for tech dummies like me after all.

Minna Wybrecht

Minna's a PreMed student at the University of Michigan. She believes in three things. Milk chocolate. Ballroom dancing. To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.

2 thoughts to “The Wonders of iMovie”

1. Hi Minna,
    As someone who just recently started using iMovie this year for various reasons, I can tell you, and hopefully give you some further hope as a newcomer to the software as well, that it really is relatively user friendly. It seems your small experience has also reaffirmed that notion, but I would like to offer some further reassurance by telling you it really is pretty straight forward. While I think there’s definitely a lot more to uncover about the software, the basics of it (basic edits, effects, trimming, clipping, etc.) are all presented to the user from the get-go, so it makes the creation of things much less daunting. I’m sure as you further explore the software throughout the production of your remediation project, you’ll uncover further capabilities that you were originally unaware existed. I can’t wait to see what ends up happening!

2. Hi Minna,

I’m glad to hear that you’re finding using iMovie to be a breeze! If it seems that way now, I’m certain that it will only get easier as time goes on. This bodes very well for your final product, I’d imagine. Even as just the free moviemaking app that comes with Macs, iMovie really does have so many options and I’ve seen some people make very professional-quality movies only from iMovie. My one piece of advice – don’t go TOO overboard on all of the options there. Much like many of the other Apple apps (Photo Booth, GarageBand, etc.), iMovie effects have a very distinctive look that, to many viewers, just screams, “This was made on iMovie.” It’s not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but it can homogenize your movie a bit, and, in the case of some of the transitions or audio filters, it can venture into the realm of pure hamminess. Sometimes, restraint and simplicity are the best ways to go when making a movie, especially if you want your poetry to shine through. But I certainly trust your taste to make the best call for the project.

Chad