Thinking About Remediation

I am still pretty unsure of the direction my remediation will go. My first thought was to do a spin on some kind of political campaign or advertisement, and I found a video done by Planned Parenthood that seems to be along the lines of what I was thinking. However, I am NOT very tech savvy, and have really never made a video like this at all. I want my remediation project to look clean and professional, and I am worried about working in an entirely new medium because I do not want my project to look sloppy or amateur. So, I have been brainstorming other mediums through which I could get out the same type of message. Perhaps a podcast? Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Either way, I think this video hits on the main points/exigence I want my remediation project to have. I really liked that it talked about some of the history behind Roe v Wade, old footage,  and then include some testimonials. I have audio recordings of the interviews I conducted, so I think it would be cool to incorporate that into my remediation project. I also like that throughout the video there was a definitive call to action, which I think was a big part of my repurposing project. I am not trying to change anyone’s mind about these issues, just to remind all those who feel strongly about fighting for a woman’s right to choose that the fight is long from over, and that we should continue to vote for candidates and policy that protect our rights. I think the video really captured that idea, and it is something that I hope to emulate in my own remediation project.

Lauren Diamond

Lauren Diamond is a Junior at the University of Michigan and a Political Science Major.

2 thoughts to “Thinking About Remediation”

1. Lauren, it sounds like you found a great model source, and that you already have material to include in your own project if you decide to make a similar video. I think that would be a great way to make an argument because you would have the freedom to use many different perspectives on the issue in one video. I think a video would be more effective than a podcast because podcasts are more limited in what types of media you can bring in, but that is a good option if a video is too daunting. I’m not very tech savvy either, so I would understand making a project that is a bit easier.

2. I’m running into the same issues with my remediation project. Everything I want to do, since I’m thinking podcast, is a forum I’m not familiar with or have no expertise in. It’s true that when things look amateurish it takes away from the value, thus the push for high quality photographs in student run magazine, the hiring of graphic designers, etc.

If you did a video, who would be your authority figure speaking or supporting your claims? But I guess if you’re doing a call to action, you can focus less on persuasion as you said and more on inspiration. Did you find this video inspiring? I wonder if videos that evoke a call to action have similar qualities, or if its just the strength of the argument/rhetorical situation in every individual instance. It may be something you want to explore.