To-Do Lists Galore

“Drafting and Revising Your Project” from Writer/Designer has given me valuable insight into not only my remediation project, but also my ePortfolio. For example, the screenshot of the sample rough cut was especially helpful because it gave me a good sense of what the rough cut of my remediation project should look like. I, too, will be taking a screenshot of the layout of my slideshow on iMovie. I will also present a rough draft of the 7-minute script to go alongside the slideshow in my TEDTalk.

After submitting my rough cut on Saturday, the next order of business on my “Writing 220 To-Do List” (which actually exists…I’m a to-do list kind of girl) has been to find a location (with a stage and projection screen) to film my TEDTalk. I spoke to Ellie after Monday’s class, and we plan to help each other out with our TEDTalks. Perhaps we could film each other’s performances and thus offer valuable, insightful feedback. I’m fairly intimidated by the idea of giving a speech to the camera for the world to see, so it’d be nice to have a fellow Writing 220 buddy to keep my company 🙂

To-do-list

Until this week, I hadn’t put much thought into my ePorfolio, mainly because I’ve been so wrapped up in Major Projects 1 and 2. Nonetheless, I’ve started to brainstorm ideas for the general layout of the website, as well as draft a few in-process analysis responses. With regard to the guiding theme of my website, however, I’m a little lost. There are so many aspects of my life and personality that I could highlight in my ePortfolio, so where do I even begin!? I hope that once I determine the non-Writing 220 piece(s) to include in my ePortfolio, I’ll be able to see a see a trend among my writing artifacts, which I could then emphasize in the overarching theme and design of my website.

I also found it helpful to read this chapter’s description of the difference between a rough cut and a rough draft. I’ve always known that there’s a distinction, but I wasn’t exactly sure where the line is drawn. Arola, Sheppard and Ball explain, “Your rough draft should be usable in the technology and the medium that you will eventually distribute your project in.” That is, the rough draft of my remediation project should be capable of being played and viewed by my audience without any outside intervention. Similarly, my audience should be able to navigate the rough draft of my ePortfolio. I also appreciate the inclusion of a rough draft checklist in this chapter—again with my beloved lists! Bearing all of this in mind, I realize how much is left for me to do for my projects, so I better keep plugging away…

7eb9ec7abbfd71cea6fcaa239cc96fe000879d453577afa7c753f4f2dd889803

So where am I at with my re-purposing project, you might ask? Well, I’m continuing to revise my open letter to Millennials, “Dear Millennials.” I’ve found that working on Major Projects 1 and 2 simultaneously has actually enhanced each project, as it allows me to draw from the light-bulb moments that I’ve had with each. It also allows me to ensure that I say everything (or almost everything) that I want to say between the two projects. More updates to come in the near future!

One thought to “To-Do Lists Galore”

1. Hi Mel,
    I was definitely surprised to hear about your major changes for projects 1 and 2, but I’m so excited to see where you take them! I think the changes are probably for the better–allowing you to really use your positive experience in Armenia to create a broader message to us. As for the ePortfolio, I’m on the same page. I have thought of how I want to lay it out, but I’m also clueless as to which aspect of my life I should hone in on. There’s so much creative freedom here! And I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who creates “To-Do” lists! Great minds think alike. Good luck on your draft!