When you accidentally start your E-Portfolio…

This chapter has given insight specifically in the difference between a rough cut and a rough draft. The author stats, “…in a rough draft all the assets should be finely edited and in place so that the project will work without any intervention by the author.” Ah-ha! No I get it. The rough cut didn’t have to work, it didn’t have to make my argument for me, and it didn’t have to be in any sensible form. But, a rough draft has to attempt to accomplish your goal, it has to touch your audience, it has to do the talking for you. This distinction was quite abstract to me until I read this one particular sentence. And not only that, but I began to see how important the feedback loop is in this limbo between rough cut and rough draft. This small liminal phase is actually one giant transitional phase because of all of the revision that needs to be had; only then can you start to fine-tune the rough draft that you’ve created—a rough draft that might be quite “shitty,” in the words of Lamott—and that’s okay.image

This rough cut gave me a little bit of trouble because the medium of my re-mediation doesn’t fit the traditional model for the rough cut as displayed in the book, but I think I was able to pull together my interpretation of a rough-cut as would be fitting through the definition given in the book. I feel like I have this flexibility with the rough-cut because of how flexible Writer/Designer seemed to portray this process.

This chapter also helped me to digest my e-Portfolio. Because, let’s be real, the thought of creating a website seems intimidating to say the least. But after reading the “Drafting & revising Your Project” section, I feel at peace with this task, and quite frankly, I’m excited about it. I’ve already created my page; it’s in an infant stage, but it’s there. I think a lot of time when I’m challenged with a task I’ll put it off for as long as possible. But, this one has become softer, and easier to approach since thinking of it as a process rather than a project. Also, I kind of stepped back and started to appreciate the summative nature of it: this is the way I can showcase myself as a writer, and my work, and my passion. This isn’t busy work imposed on us by evil teachers who want to see us labor over our keyboards, this is life experience that means a collaboration, and an end goal I can be proud of. This e-portfolio will make the fruits of our labor tangible, or as tangible as a website can be.

Here’s a sneak peek of where I’m at:

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 9.54.34 PMThese pictures, through the gallery option, will become the icons for my Poster Series. And I’ll admit, I did skip the rough cut for this section because I got excited about the gallery options, but either way, I know that through the security of the feedback loop, I’ll be able to make adjustments as many times as I need, and as drastically as needed. I guess I accidentally started my E-portfolio…

2 thoughts to “When you accidentally start your E-Portfolio…”

1. Hi Kit!
    I love that you point out the kind of loop that there is between a rough cut and a rough draft. Start with a rough cut, get feedback and make it a rough draft, then get more feedback and it might go back to something that resembles more of a rough cut than a draft. You’ve just got to keep revising until you get past the “shitty first draft” stage (which might take a lot more work than expected).
    I’m very impressed that you started your ePortfolio already! We’ve been forced to think about it for a few small pieces we’ve done so far, but I’ve been trying to keep it out of sight and out of mind. I think that getting something resembling a ePortfolio out there right now is a great way to make the whole process less intimidating. And as you said, it’s really cool to be able to see the summative nature of the whole thing, and have the knowledge of how your work might look when it’s finished. I think that will help you a lot with the drafting and editing process.
    Great work Kit!

2. Hi Kit!
    Wow, so much of what you say rings true to me. I was also intrigued by the distinction that the book makes about rough cut vs. draft. At first I did not quite understand what the difference was – when we were assigned to make “rough cuts” I did not interpret it as anything different from a draft. I thought that the term simply referred to the fact that we were using different modes rather than just words. But in reality, the distinction is about substance, or argument. Without a substantive “cut,” we are unable to take any real steps.

I also completely hear you when you say, “I think a lot of time when I’m challenged with a task I’ll put it off for as long as possible. But, this one has become softer, and easier to approach since thinking of it as a process rather than a project.” Depending on the task at hand, I can be a huge procrastinator. And I think it is because this class is so unspecific and flexible in its assignments, it is so tempting and easy to put off thinking about them until we are forced to. (In contrast, when I have a specific reading and prompt in an English class I have no problem diving into the task, as I know what is expected of me and how much time/ work is required). I love your use of the word “softer.” Sometimes when I start work it is very soft… other times it is much more challenging – there is much more friction and discomfort. And its not that the work itself is more challenging. What’s different is the mental state, the laziness and unwillingness to take that first, concrete step of figuring out what we want to / need to do.