World Wide Webpage

For this leg of my project I am putting together an online webpage. This embodies the theme of technology pretty well, and I’ll be working with a lot of graphics and writing some html/css. I’m attempting to make the page appear really engaging and eye catching, which can be difficult to design from a 2-D piece of paper in class haha. It was hard to successfully visualize what would be on screen if I kept erasing my pencil sketch every two seconds.

What I needed was a real-time mock up of my envisioned design, where I can have an immediate example of my ideas. So I took to tumblr and started playing around with some old themes I had already written, trying to reimagine them in the context of my project. This actually worked out perfectly.

Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 10.45.47 PM

(very rough draft!!)

So the html/css aspect of my design looked to be pretty solid. But how about those graphics?

The last time I created my own graphic, an animated gif, was several years ago using photoshop CS5. Unfortunately, as time goes on, technology tends to change. After doing some digging I found that its apparently all the rage now to make gifs using photoshop CS6, and that CS5 is a crusty old relic nobody uses anymore.  Uh oh…. I don’t know the first thing about photoshop CS6….

So looks like I’ll be learning something new for this project, similarly to how I had to learn to use Final Cut Pro for my repurposing project video. I downloaded CS6 and am (slowly) familiarizing myself with its new features before I create any of my animated graphics. Lucky for me many of its tools stayed the same, so maybe my job won’t be so difficult.

Rachel Hutchings

Los Angeles born, Ann Arbor raised. I'm a film student at the University of Michigan and an ardent music junkie on the side. I'm sure you'll catch me at local gigs around town.

One thought to “World Wide Webpage”

1. Rachel,
    I’m excited to see how your online webpage will turn out! Trying to make something grabbing and engaging is undoubtedly a daunting task to do, especially for a webpage when there are literally millions of them all over the world. Nevertheless, I believe that you will find a way to accomplish this feat. And you’re not the only one learning how to utilize new technology; everyone’s struggle bussing this haha. Ultimately, I am curious; how will your e-portfolio compare to this webpage? Will it be incredibly similar/different, or do you plan to mix the two into a hybrid of sorts? Just something I thought of while reading your post.