Writing Ambitions

In my application I definitely mentioned poetic language, or at least figurative language. I think I only engaged in a version of that during syllabus week when we did the aleatory writing. As of now, the Why I Write project is probably the best project for this kind of language, at this point in the semester. Right now that seems like an easy thing to do, which is why I’m not sure I want to devise a plan to implement more unconventional styles of writing into an essay like piece. I was hoping to play with conventions of the academic sentence. But then I think about okay how well does this kind of language, and that kind of style, and that kind of genre fit together? If I’m modeling a piece without that style, or if I want my writing to seem cohesive, where do I draw the lines? I think before stepping foot into writing 220 the first week of school, I thought pushing ourselves and thinking “outside of the box” was going to be almost at a sentence or paragraph level. Something within that tangible form of writing. 

Also, I think my writing ambitions were also related to volume. I wanted to walk away with a lot of writing, a much larger body of work. A lot of classes have 3-4 papers. But I can usually get inspired from little writing assignments that I revisit when I’m doing something similar to repurposing. It’s interesting to think about how often we repurpose our writing without attaching that label to it, because I would argue it’s a frequent occurrence. Sometimes I think there’s a strong relationship between quantity of writing and quality. Like you have t o write a lot to get better at it. But I want interesting prompts that prompt good writing. I feel like the more I’m exposed to those, the better I am at producing something to that effect. I’ve seen other classes kind of work though things on the board like we have, but they were more related to certain aspects of writing rather than revolving around rhetoric. I tend to return to these kind of exercises over the course of my collegiate careers.

It’s likely I’ll fulfill any “writing ambitions” in Why I Write, but even more so in the capstone course.

Kennedy Clark

Kennedy is a Sociology major with an ineptness for exposition and an excessive love for Michigan basketball and pretzels.

2 thoughts to “Writing Ambitions”

1. I thought the minor would be more sentence/phrase level too. But now that we are almost done the semester, I think I like it better that we consider things like audience and purpose rather than conventions; that would be very boring. I also agree that you have to write a lot to get better at it. The first or second draft of a paper I’m writing usually doesn’t even compare to my final draft. I also think that reading a lot can make you a better writer. Seeing the way other writers use the same conventions can give inspiration, or even their content can give you an idea that you hadn’t thought of before.

2. I agree, I thought we would be working on sentence level writing as well – at least in the context of style. I took a creative writing class in which we read authors who had varying styles and often were instructed to model these style in our free writes. However, I do think that we were challenged to confront our sentence level language by addressing a particular audience and purpose. It was definitely an interesting experience working in mediums I had never worked in before, and I think this really pushed me to grow as a writer.