Storm

I was tempted to start this entry with the words “this time of year…” in regards to what was foremost on my mind this week. The amount of work due around this time of year is always going to be foremost in people’s minds at the end of the semester. This year has been a little different for me though and I think my mind has been in a slightly different place. Actually, no; my mind’s been in the same place, but my mood and motivations have changed. The remediation project and the eportfolio are absolutely reflective of a path I have chosen for my work, and this has really affected my feelings toward the work. There is a lot to do, but it is exciting work because I know I won’t just drop it forever once I finish. And this actually applies to my other classes as well. So it’s all good! 

This Thanksgiving ended up being a bit more stressful than I expected with personal things that came up. Luckily, I had finished a complete draft of my remediation project before the weekend. I wanted to be ahead of my work going into Thanksgiving in case things got busy meeting up with friends I haven’t seen for a year or catching up with family. When the weekend took a turn, I happened to be prepared, and so I haven’t fallen behind. It’s a good life lesson, I think, to stay on top of things and prepared for the ‘storm.’ Side note here: I went backpacking for a month a couple summer back and the most valuable lesson I learned was to always stay prepared in this way – do the routine, go to sleep with your storm cover and all, so when it does come, which at some point it will, you won’t have an issue. That’s a great lesson, and something that I still take to heart. When things get busy this time of year, one personal obstacle can throw a person off their work and off track from their other goals.

To tie things together: The remediation project and the eportfolio tie into my personal goals. In bettering myself and eventually, my community, these are the types of projects I want to do, and do well. So, this has been pretty cool.

2 thoughts to “Storm”

1. Hi Wyatt,

I really enjoyed reading your post, especially when you described your time backpacking. I think it’s awesome that you took away such an impactful life lesson from the trip–and that you’ve been able to use it during this time of year. Also, given how complete your remediation project looked the last time I viewed it, it seems like you are in great shape for the showcase in a little over a week. It’s great that you’ve been able to see overlap with your other classes as well! I haven’t really seen to much overlap with my project and my classes, though the remediation and Why I Write are things that I enjoy doing and almost serve as a break from my other classes.

Have you thought about including the backpacking trip/lesson learned into your Why I Write? It seems like it might hold some meaning for you in terms of how you prepare to write or complete projects put in front of you. Your Why I Write seems to have a clear focus already, though, so this might deter from that. Just something to think about I guess. Have a great weekend!

2. Hi Wyatt! I’m sorry that you had a rough Thanksgiving break, but I’m happy to hear that you felt prepared when things took a rough turn. I can’t imagine dealing with personal issues during finals and the most stressful time of the year. I enjoyed hearing about that this project has made it clearer that you like the path you have chosen. I think it’s great that you’ll be able to use your projects even after the semester is over.

See you in class!