21 Days…

With only two weeks left in the semester (you’ve gotta be kidding me, right?), and three active assignments to finish for the gateway course before the semester closes (you’ve gotta be kidding me, right?!?!), there shouldn’t be much question as to what writing I’m doing this week. Like does it really matter if I’m grinding on the ePortfolio, polishing my How and Why I Write paper, or putting [what I totally wish were] the finishing touches on my Repurposing Project? All I know is that, in a section of my year where my thoughts are often dominated by study study study, they will instead be focused on write write write… and record, and film, and edit, as it were.

But all jokes aside, I can see the finish line on the horizon and all it’s going to take is a little bit of motivation and perseverance to get myself there. Although I’m drastically behind on my repurposing project, I have the audio studio reserved for Friday afternoon to finalize my recordings, and then excessive amounts of film equipment checked out over the upcoming weekend to shoot the accompanying video. After that, it’s just a matter of getting into the MLB and turning the raw material into, well, something.

As daunting as that sounds, that’s probably the part of the project I’m looking forward to the most… the pinnacle of every art form is taking nothing and making something. Besides, it’s been a hot second (read: 8th grade) since I’ve really tried my hand at editing footage, and I’m itching to get back behind the Final Cut wheel and give it a go.

So I guess as far as my struggles go right now, it’s sheer work volume. Is recording a song, filming a video, editing said song and footage into a music video, meeting with a teacher to review said project, reviewing two peers’ How and Why I Write submissions, writing my own How and Why I Write submission, and then compiling all of that and more into an ePortfolio that I created from the ground up (and then finishing this blog post) really that much work? Probs not. But when I write it all out there, it certainly seems like it’s a lot, and that in and of itself strikes a substantial blow to my motivation. But hey, this is college, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that no matter how much shit gets piled up in front of me, it’s still going to be a thing of my past in less than 21 days.

2 thoughts to “21 Days…”

1. Hi Chad,
    I can definitely relate to the insane workload you’re experiencing, but you bring up a good point at the end there. It’s funny how, in college, one second it can seem like you’re drowning with more things to do than you ever thought possible, but within a mere matter of days the work is over, and you’ve surprised yourself yet again. You will get everything done. I’m almost positive that most students attending this school are the types who end up getting it done any way, it’s just a matter of how much effort you’ll decide to put into each of the items on your to-do list that is still up in the air. I can’t wait to see how everything turns out, though! I have no doubt you’ll put in the work to make all of your projects awesome.

2. Funny how things seem to pile up in every class in the last two weeks of class. I too get extremely stressed with so much due on the horizon, but I find that working on a little bit of everything decreases my stress by so much. I’m a firm believer in baby steps, so baby steps it is. The work is going to get done, we’ve just gotta remove one rock at a time and not think too much about the mountain towering above us. I’m also working on video editing right now and I discovered the frustrations that come with it. I find that since EVERYTHING can be edited, it just sets the bar so much higher. I could easily spend the entire semester editing a single video. But as time constraints are, I’ve gotta wrap things up at some point. Cheers to video editing frustrations, I guess. We’ve got this.