Advice!

Congratulations on your acceptance into the writing minor. My first bit of advice would be to start engaging in the gateway class immediately, because it will be over before you know it. I feel like I was reading advice blog posts just a few weeks ago, yet here I am writing one. Anyways, here are a few pieces of advice that should ensure a smooth trip through the gateway course.

alt="advice stand"

First, take every writing assignment as a chance to better your writing skills, and you will be surprised at the improvements you will make in just four short months. This includes the weekly blog posts and other low-stakes writing you will do in addition to the three or four main projects.

Second, I recommend being very proactive when it comes to gateway assignments. When other classes get busy, it is tempting to quickly throw together a blog post or peer-review letter, but mindless writing will not lead to improvement. We all entered the minor with intentions of improving as writers; staying proactive and engaged in assignments is the best way to meet this goal.

Last, don’t be afraid to open your mind and try something new. I know this is corny, but let me give you an example. In my very first blog post, I said I was in the minor to write and was therefore not going to create a video for any of the projects. Well, I just finished my video today and it was by far the most rewarding piece of work I completed all semester. So I suggest trying something new at some point during the semester.

Good luck as you begin the rewarding experience that is the gateway course.

3 thoughts to “Advice!”

1. You are so right in every assignment is the opportunity to better our writing. What is special about the minor in writing is that we have a large amount of freedom to write about what we know or what we are interested in, but every assignment I felt I grew and developed into a better writer. I also emphasize trying new things. I think that this class is one of the only I have have taken that has allowed me to write about whatever I want in whatever medium I want, which has allowed me to learn more about different genres of writing. I think you offered some great advice and it is awesome to hear that your video has impacted you in a positive way!

2. Hey Jeremy!!

It is interesting that you came into this class with no intensions to create much of anything other than writing. I was as well shocked at the freedom of mobility of our projects through other optional mediums. Through creating that last video, though, I think it is fair to say that you indeed learned volumes about technology, progression of an idea, presentation and more about the work itself. I never thought it either but maybe new mediums really can advance us as writers and learners!!

As well, I think you could not be any more right about being proactive and on the ball with projects. The timeline seems so lengthy for the projects but it seems like these projects take a lot longer than you would initially think.

Anyways, thanks again for sharing with us Jeremy. I think you bring up some very valid points. I hope we find each other in some more classes along the way here for some further collaboration. It was really a pleasure to work with you and your work.
    Til then,
    Caroline

3. Right?? It’s been interesting see everyone’s approaches (including my own) to writing be engaged and developed throughout the semester.
    Being proactive is definitely key here, as well. I know I had some lapses this semester…mostly in drafts, I’ll admit it…but you are very right: we’re all here because we want to be, and any lapsing is to your own detriment. It’s so important to get engaged in what you do in this class.