Michael Buble's Christmas Album cover

Advising Appointment No.1

I’ve never really been that great at giving advise.  But here’s some.

Advice 1:  Never discredit yourself at the beginning of a blog post (as I just did) because it will probably not help you in convincing your audience of everything else that you have to say after.  Which leads me to advice number 2.

Advice 2:  Take risks in this class (and in every other class you are ever going to take).  Sometimes those risks lead you into really disastrous and time consuming outcomes but other times these risks are what separate students from devotionalists. I promise you, I’ve learned more about my writing by being willing to make mistakes over these past three months than I have in the entire rest of my 18 (or so ) years of writing before this semester.

Advice 3: Don’t take crap from anyone [ins: everyone].  Listen to your peers, whether you think their advise is good or bad it is most certainly not worthless.  Learn how to be a listener just as much as you learn how to become a writer this semester.  Classes like this one teach you just as much about life as they do academics and being willing to be taught about both will push you to be a better student and person.

Advice 4: Don’t write for the grade because doing so is 1. a waste of time and 2. putting your energy into a class for the wrong reasons.  Work on something else if you aren’t going to put effort into a piece of writing for the purpose of benefiting yourself or the work at hand.  GPA is a number, grades are letters and you are a human.  Treat yourself as one!!

Advice 5:  Do it with a smile on your face.  Be overjoyed for the opportunity rather than annoyed by the assignment.  Take everything as the blessing that it is.

Advice 6: GET GOING ALREADY!  Life goes fast and so does this class!! Dive in with all of yourself as quick as you can because before you know it, the semester will be over.

Good luck and happy writing.

From one writer to another,

Caroline “my finals playlist is all of Michael Buble’s Christmas album” Petersen

Caroline Petersen

Caroline is a contributing writer to the Sweetland Minor in Writing Blog. She is an architect in training and spends a lot of her time sipping on cappuccinos and discussing elements of malfunctioning building features. She is a city girl who spent her elementary summers in the middle of Iowa at her aunt and uncles farm. She is a woman of many (unusual) facets that are traditionally fairly useless.

2 thoughts to “Advising Appointment No.1”

1. Hi Caroline,

I don’t know what you were talking about at the beginning of the post, because this is all great advice. I agree that taking risks is the key to improving in the gateway course. For example, I had no intentions of making a video as I entered this class, but I went ahead with the project, and ended up learning a completely new set of skills! Perhaps the most important point you touched on was the importance of listening and accepting all criticism as constructive. We are all writing for the readers–the audience. It only makes sense, then, that we listen to the feedback of our readers (classmates) and adjust our work accordingly.

Thanks for sharing both this post and the several that came before. I wish you the best of luck in the coming semester, and I hope to stay in touch.

Jeremy

2. That’s a choice supply of advice you’ve got there. I especially like where you say to take crap. The constructive criticism from the peer reviews in this class was some of the biggest help I’ve gotten. In high school, and possibly in some more general classes here, most of the peer reviews weren’t particularly helpful. However, everyone in the minor is invested in this class. Otherwise, why would they even apply, y’know?
    I also like Advice 6. This semester went by sooo fast. The days are long, but the weeks fly by.