Final Blog Post…already????

I can’t believe this is the last blog post I’ll write for the Gateway Course. It feels like yesterday that I was looking through previous ePortfolios and taking notes on the things I wanted to include in my own. It’s actually pretty funny to look back at the notes, because the things I wanted to include like “add in humor” or “keep it simple” ended up making it into my ePortfolio.

Overall, I’m really happy with how my ePortfolio turned out. I was able to balance making it a personal space while keeping it professional and clean just in case I decide on showing it to future employers. While I was creating it, I wanted to make sure that all images and text were in black and white, and I’m thrilled with how this theme turned out. Though I was a little nervous about being the only student in my class using Squarespace, I’m glad I stuck with it. It’s a site that I’ve had previous exposure to, so I knew I could play around with it and make my ePortfolio something I was extremely proud of and that fit my personality.

I also discovered a lot about my interests when I was crafting my ePortfolio. For example, I have a real passion for design. I like experimenting with how things look on the web and what they communicate about their creator. It’s made me start to consider doing more with website design, not only for the current company I work for but also in future endeavors both in and out of school.

My favorite part about my ePortfolio right now is my welcome page. I was feeling particularly inspired the day I took the photo on the opening page (it’s of my desk here at school!) and I love the way it turned out. It’s representative of my personality and my interests, and I think it’s an aesthetically pleasing way of welcoming my audience!

my desk

Finally, the best part about my ePortfolio is that nothing is set in stone. I can constantly tweak, delete, and add in things that I write or photos that I take. The ability to change things is definitely an affordance of having an ePortfolio, and it’s something I know I will take advantage of as my opinions and thoughts change about the topics I’ve written about.

While I haven’t decided if I’m going to link to my ePortfolio in my resume or share it with future employers, I know it’s something I am going to share with my current boss, my parents, and my friends. Like I mentioned in my “why I write”, I often have difficulty articulating my emotions, interests, and thoughts. Now, I have my ePortfolio to do all of the talking and that’s a really comforting thing for me to be able to use.

Thank you to everyone for such a great semester, especially my past and present blog group members. You guys are writing geniuses and I can’t imagine what my projects would be without you all!

adele thumbs up

Caroline Rafferty

Caroline is a Lauren Conrad aficionado with more clothes than sense. Currently suffering with a severe case of wanderlust and wondering why more people don't like jicama, Caroline is an extremely gifted napper who is a Communications major. Between reading "Into The Gloss" and listening to her "rbf" Spotify playlist, Caroline writes about anything that comes to mind. Anything.

3 thoughts to “Final Blog Post…already????”

1. Hi Caroline!
    I totally agree with you that one of the best parts about the portfolio is that you can constantly rewrite and redesign anything you want! But with that being said, I am obsessed with your portfolio! It resembles the Beyonce of all portfolios in my opinion. I love the black and white images with the unique navigation system. I think it really expresses your interests and your aesthetic. Really nice job!

2. I agree, you have an awesome welcome page. I remember writing this in my comments to you originally, but it really sets the tone for the eportfolio. I loved all your photos, actually, and they all do a good job of depicting the stories within the same narrative. That being said, why not go ahead and share it! Not saying you should or shouldn’t because obviously who am I to say that, but just saying it is really good and I think it is absolutely share-able. I hope you have an amazing break and a good next semester :’).

3. Hi Caroline! Ah, I’m so glad you stuck with Squarespace! The website is really beautiful. When you said, “I like experimenting with how things look on the web and what they communicate about their creator,” I 100% agreed with you. I thought about that a lot as I was making my website. I decided I wanted my website to be clean and professional, much like yours, while also including the necessary artifacts from Writing 220.

Thanks for all of the great advice this semester and I hope that you enjoy your holiday break. (:

P.S. Now I have Let It Be Me stuck in my head. I appreciate that.