Go you. Do you. Be you.

This semester has been a minute. You know what I mean? But you will learn so much and feel so much and explore so much all at the same time. This course is truly eye-opening and extremely challenging. It pushes you farther than you thought possible. As a business major, I came into this course confused as to why there was not more structure or pressure or any sort of competitive atmosphere. It honestly was uncomfortable at first because everything was different and open and vulnerable. That being said, I think this class is exactly what I needed. Junior year everything becomes so real – you are no longer a naiive underclassmen. You are supposed to LEAD the leaders and best. Um, what? That’s a lot of pressure! But this course allowed me to become that naiive, doe-eyed and curious freshman once again. I saw everything in a new light and began to explore parts of my creativity and interests I didn’t even know existed.

My advice to you is keep an open mind. You might think you have everything figured out, or that the minor in writing is perfect for you or your resume, or that this will be an easy class because writing comes easily to you. Maybe one or all of those are true – but that’s not what is important. I would have to say that I came into this class with all three of those thoughts. And here I am, sitting writing this blog post in the wee hours of the morning because life is so busy¬†and challenging and exciting all at the same time. None of those things came true. And I’m so glad they didn’t.

My advice to you is to challenge yourself. Don’t take the easy road. Take on the documentary film project, or podcast, or whatever it is that this remediation project leads you to do. In the moment challenging yourself is hard and pushes you over the edge and you think you might never sleep or breathe or blink again, but it is so worth it. It is.

My advice to you is to feel okay with not being okay. There have been several points in this course where I am just NOT sure or okay with what I am producing as a writer. This not-okay feeling is okay. I promise. It means you are being open-minded and challenging yourself.

Most of all, though, you got this. Go you. Do you. Be you. And enjoy everything Writing 220 throws at you.

-Anna

Anna Prenzler

Anna is a senior studying business with a minor in writing at the University of Michigan. She believes you can never sing or laugh enough, and you must write things down for two reasons - to remember what happens in your life and to feel something.

4 thoughts to “Go you. Do you. Be you.”

1. WOW our last blog comments! I think your advice on keeping an open mind is so important. I went into the class thinking it was going to be very academic writing, but I was in for a surprise as I am sure you were. This class was a pleasant surprise for me, allowing me the freedom to write about something I was really passionate about! Like you mention, this class is the perfect opportunity to step out of your comfort zone, which I think you definitely did with your video. Writing 220 allows you to explore a new part of you that is not expressed in normal academic courses, and the next group to take this course will definitely learn that!

2. Hey Anna!

I was immediately drawn to your title, “Go you. Do you. Be you.” When I was little, my grandmother always used to tell me to “Go do,” and I think that might be some of the best advice I have ever received. Now that we have been accepted into the Minor in Writing, we should embrace new things and to challenge ourselves. It is meant to make us feel uneasy and excited all at the same time as we explore our writing. I appreciate you taking the time to give us three main points of advice for this semester. It sounds like you got a lot out of the gateway class. I will definitely be thinking about them as we prepare for the three big projects. Thanks again!

3. Great advice Anna! I really connected with your post because although I am not a business major, I am also extremely used to very structured classes. I am used to being told exactly what to do, and following strict guidelines when it comes to what I am writing. The idea of interpreting writing assignments however I want to and having the rules be extremely out in the open is extremely new to me, and something I am struggling with. But I now realize that this new challenging way of writing is a good thing because it is going to push me to learn more about myself as a writer and a person.

4. Oh goodness, I have no idea where to begin. Well hi. Your advice simultaneously terrified me and invigorated me. I’m terrified because I suppose when it comes to my writing I love having a feeling of control. You said to come to terms with feeling okay with not feeling okay. I don’t know how okay with that I am since writing has been such a constant in my life. One that I can turn to and always know what to expect because it all comes from me. Right? Well, I’m also really excited now because that uneasy feeling you speak of that I should get used to is me growing as a writer. I can only imagine what I can dream up if I only let myself not feel okay for once. Thank you for reminding me that my favorite thing in life will not always bring comfort but sometimes uncertainty. And thank you for reminding me that it’s okay.