Hey, over here! Listen to me

Now that I’m an expert (not really) at the writing minor. I’ve got one million sage pieces of advice.

My first piece of advice is listen to Vincent Van Gogh. He said, “I dream my painting and then I paint my dream.” Dream it. Do it. That simple. Forget about what you’re used to doing. The comfort zone is boring and overrated. Tried investigative journalism, not too confident in the genre? Take the risk, write another article in Writing 220. Never did spoken word poetry or messed with video maker? Do it. Your professor and your classmates will beyond support you. They’ll fuel you, you’ll inspire them, and so will they.

Vincent-Van-Gogh
Courtesy of: http://blog.tombowusa.com/2011/03/30/who-said/

This class isn’t about Safe. This class is about learning that you’re capable of Executing some obscure Dream you have. That, Reader, is what I believe is the most important lesson of all. An analogy? Well, you should feel like this:

Girl jumping with rose petals in air
Courtesy of: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/19/more-money-or-more-freedo_n_3624317.html

Second piece of advice. Back to Van Gogh’s quote. You might be wondering what painting has anything to do with writing. Well Reader, that is a great point. Painting has everything to do with writing. They’re both all about composition, eliciting emotion, rhetorical strategies (just one uses actual words, the other uses colors and brush strokes). Like Van Gogh’s starry night. Is he persuasive? Perhaps, I can see the stars, the town buildings, the suggested night.

the-starry-night-1889(1)
Courtesy of: http://www.wikiart.org/en/vincent-van-gogh/the-starry-night-1889

Many things “count” as writing. Don’t feel constricted by the possibilities. Don’t be discouraged. Think outside the rigid box we’re usually subjected to in our classes.

Third piece of advice:

to_live_a_creative_life____by_vacant_xpressi0ns-d4inuw7
Courtesy of: http://vacant-xpressi0ns.deviantart.com/art/To-Live-a-Creative-Life-273210919

Minna Wybrecht

Minna's a PreMed student at the University of Michigan. She believes in three things. Milk chocolate. Ballroom dancing. To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.

4 thoughts to “Hey, over here! Listen to me”

1. Hi Minna,
    First of all, I love the photos you use to accompany your advice, and they really add further explanation to your text. Second of all, I think it’s cool how you link writing to painting because, especially in this class, I’ve found them to be shockingly similar, especially in terms of inspiring others. When I think about art, I think about people looking at a piece, admiring it, dissecting it, and interpreting it depending on their own view points. I guess I never really thought about writing that way, until this course that is. I’ve always thought writing was more concrete than that, but it really isn’t. I love how you’re preparing the future minors to accept this fact before they dive in because I think for most of us, we don’t link the inspiration in painting to that same inspiration in writing, but after the minor it has seemingly become all too obvious.

2. Hey Minna,

Again, it sounds like we’re on the same wavelength regarding our takeaways from the course. Both you and I (and Becca… blog post fam killing it) completely embraced the high risk/high reward approach to this course, which it sounds like is on its way to paying off for all three of us, given that for the most part our advice boils down to the same thing. This course really is a great vessel for doing some crazy stuff that you never would be able to get away with in other courses – you really are painting your dreams. And it appears you’ve learned something other than that in this course too, because your use of images (a multimodal rhetoric) really helps your point. Nice way to close off your 220 blog posts.

3. Hey Minna,
    This post was a great piece of advice. Structurally, I thought integrating all of the photos into your writing made this easier to read. It really broke up your paragraphs. As far as your actual advice, you hit the nail on the head for me. I’m often nervous to stray from the type of writing that I’ve done consistently for the past 20 years, but your encouragement to push outside of the comfort zone is reassuring. It’s pretty motivating to hear that this class isn’t about being “safe”, and I’ll definitely take that to heart. Thanks for taking the time to write this!
    Kevin

4. Hey Minna!
    I really like how you integrated the pictures into the text. I think they really help the reader visualize more of what you’re saying. That being said, your advice alone was great. I especially like the last picture/ quote and the fact that you advise use to try a genre of writing that we aren’t too comfortable with. I’ve often found that I shy away from any and all things that I think I may fail at, but I like that you advise us to get out there and try something new. I especially like the reassurance that the professor and classmates will support us and push us even further, because I often find that I really tend to do things that “I think the teacher wants”. Throughout this minor, anytime I’m struggling with pushing myself outside the box of what I think writing “is”, I will think back to your post & the reassurance you offered. Thanks!