I really wanted to not write an essay.

RE: why and how I write

[insert title here]

So, I did a comic which ends in a brief poem.
I really like this format because I was able to show my process really well. Most of my writing process is inarticulate and is me basically staring at the screen and trying to think of what to write. And of course I don’t feel alone in this struggle at all.

However, when you’re doing it that way it can seem a bit lonely, a bit stressful, and very anxiety making. I tried to show this anxiety and solitude in my first few panels by exhibiting the notorious blinking type line. I’m not really sure what it’s actually called in certified technical speak. I’m not sure if it comes across in the 3 and a half panels as well as in this gif. blinking cursor gif

One issue I’ve run into is it’s hard to include much evidence in this format. The second page is where I provide some reasons (academic, feels, and communication are what I was going for) for my¬†writing and in the final panel on that page I span many windows, each of which will have a bit of text showing themselves as writing I have stored on my computer. As far as evidence, it’s a bit shallow. I really want to stick with this format though.

The poem was written a little hastily (hey, it’s a draft), but it is heartfelt in its composition none the less. I will definitely revise it going into the last days of Gateway, because in peer reviews there were some mixed thoughts that I’d like to try to clear up.

Overall the review process has been very helpful for this piece though. It gave me some great ideas of including a few more panels to dig just a bit deeper for evidence and analysis, and maybe to add a bit more text (which at this point is basically any) to the first part of the piece.

In the final copy for the portfolio I’ll probably keep it colorless, at least for the most part, and hand drawn, but I’ll clean up my lines and use a good black pen.

Emily Post

Mostly books and buildings, with a hefty dose of veggie foods.

2 thoughts to “I really wanted to not write an essay.”

1. Dear Emily,

Thank you for sharing some insight into your How and Why I Write piece. While I may have voiced some slight confusion in my peer review letter, I am now realizing my interpretation of your work was actually spot on. The first three images in the bottom left corner voice the frustration you mentioned here very well. Additionally, I caught on very easily to the evidence you inserted in the top of the second page. And the concluding poem is very well written, and well concludes the How and Why I Write piece as a whole. I am glad you were able to avoid the dreaded blinking line with this project, and I look forward to seeing your final project in the coming days. Best of luck as we enter the final few weeks of this semester.

Jeremy Lynn

2. Hey Emily!

Yes I think it is a great idea to push yourself to be able to represent evidence through drawing a comic strip. At this point in our lives, anyone can throw a couple sentences together to explain a little bit of why they choose to write, but I am sure that not everyone who writes knows how to draw their evidence in a way where the pictures say what they want it to. But tackling a challenge like this can prove to be very rewarding.
    By biggest suggestions for you as we start to hit a bit of a time crunch here is to share your comic strip with as many people as you can get to look at it. Ask them how they are interpreting slides so you can alter them to say exactly what you want them to. It will be important for this piece to have clear exigence. As well, I would make sure to use one of the nice scanners on north campus to get your project into digital format. The scanners up there will make your work look like it was drawn on the computer and eliminate any blurriness or pixilation.
    Maybe the addition of a couple comments will help to convey your ideas on some of the slides. Don’t be afraid to use what you need to!
    Best of luck. Can’t wait to see the final project.
    Caroline