Old Post 1: THIS IS NOT MY WEEK 12 BLOG POST

What constitutes good blogging?

This is another immensely difficult question to answer; in a similar vein to the first

post, “What is writing?” I feel as though this question is in fact rhetorical in nature

(pun very much intended… if that can even be called a pun in this case? More like

the etymology of the phrase “rhetorical question” just suddenly became quite clear).

Essentially, while I certainly don’t believe there can be any objective answers to the

question, I do believe that it’s question can prompt some interesting epiphanies in

its own right. The question itself is not meant to be answered, but it’s posing

provides value in its own right.

So, with that in mind, I’ll press toward the answer in two parts. The first will be the

blog that I think is worth following: Rageology (http://www.rageology.com/). Now,

I must admit, this is a little bit of shameless self-promotion; Rageology is a music

blog created by some close friends of mine from high school that actually ended up

receiving nationwide attention (and I myself have been featured in it a couple times

over the years, one way or another). Yet while it has fallen into mild disrepair the

last few years as the frequency of posts greatly diminishes, I don’t necessarily think

that productivity is a mark of a good blog, and in all other ways Rageology does

meet my mark of a good blog. [On the blog I would insert a Soundcloud link here]

Take for instance this post describing Team Bayside High’s “Keep You (Remix)”:

“It’s the sort of song a gang of Hell’s Angels plays during a shootout, chewing

tobacco and tightening their bandannas. The bass is as firm as a dried worm. When

the western whistle comes in, you better have your stirrups and fake mustaches on.”

The amount of vividness in this brief description is a far cry (and welcome break)

from the standard “this song is bad” or “this song is good” of many music blogs

today. He juxtaposes simply the oddest of images to really craft a fantastical reality

to which the listener can escape each time s/he hears the song. I know I for one have

never been able to get the author’s image out of my head when hearing the song.

Yet, this kind of effort and masterful rhetoric is not the only thing that makes “good

blogging”, which brings me to part 2 of my analysis. I have a friend who created a

private Tumblr page that she still refers to as “her blog.” I of course cannot link it

here, as it’s more or less a diary, but having looked at it privately, I found it to be

incredibly compelling in its own way. She no doubt compiled the site for her own

purposes only, with no regard to any audience, and yet, she has a rhetorically

successful piece on her hands. Thus, this question is just another example of one

that can’t be answered. What it can do, however, is introduce us to some great blogs

we may never have found before, and teach us to keep an open mind while reading.