Putting It All Together

Things are coming along. I’m finishing up my remediation project. I spent a long time last night trying to revise my spoken word poetry script to add more rhyme and repetition into the beginning of the poem. It turned out to be much harder than I thought. I realized that the more I focus on being informative, the harder it is to rhyme/make the words “sound” better, but once I focus on just connecting with the audience it just became much easier.

I started rehearsing for my performance on Friday at the Open Mic at North Quad. Ya’ll should come out and see me embarrass myself! Actually no, bad idea. As I told my housemate last night, I have stage fright even without an audience. It’s terrible. And kind of funny. But I think it’ll be fun to try something new. I used to be more involved with performances–piano recitals, musicals, orchestra concerts, etc–and I actually kind of miss it, which is totally surprising. This will be my attempt to reconnect with the performance world, but in a way I’ve never done before.

I recorded my rehearsal last night, and definitely had some interesting insights and doubts about myself. I realized the difficulty of stage presence. So I went on Youtube to look up a couple of my favorite spoken word poets to see how they expressed themselves through hand gestures, body language, and facial expressions. I have to say, it ain’t easy. I think I have a tendency to appreciate things a lot more once I attempt to emulate them myself.

It’s not going to be a life-changing, epic, grand performance, and I’m sure it won’t be the one of the BEST performances I’ll ever give, since I have absolutely no experience with spoken word poetry. But I’m excited about taking this risk. It doesn’t have to be mind blowing. I would be disappointed if it were so-so, or just plain “okay.” I’m aiming for a solid “good.” “Minna rehearsed a lot, tried really hard, and she really wanted this to work, and it was good.” When it comes to taking risks, sometimes “good” is all you need to be really happy.

Minna Wybrecht

Minna's a PreMed student at the University of Michigan. She believes in three things. Milk chocolate. Ballroom dancing. To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.

2 thoughts to “Putting It All Together”

1. Hi Minna,
    If I weren’t leaving for the weekend, I swear I would come support you-especially being in your group I feel kind of invested in your performance! However, I know you’ll do more than “good” and I’m excited to hear about it. I definitely know what you mean when you say that sometimes “good” is enough to give us that affirmation we need when doing something new. I think you’ve potentially brought up an interesting point about this without even realizing it. In writing, throughout this course, and in life when we do something that’s completely out of our comfort zone, often just being able to have the courage to do it is rewarding enough. I think you’ve definitely had a firsthand experience with this, and I’m looking forward to hearing how the performance went.

2. Hi Minna,

Believe me I know where you’re coming from regarding embracing an art form that’s new to you and finding that it’s about a gajillion times more daunting than you thought it would be. Your “stage fright without even an audience”? That is no new concept to me either — when I finally got into the studio, even when my only audience was a recording microphone, I choked and lost any confidence that I may have had going in there! It’s the downside of risk taking… there’s always going to be this period where it doesn’t seem like you’ll be able to surmount this obstacle. But like you said, the point of this isn’t to present the best performance of your lifetime; life isn’t one of those music biopics where a scrappy underdog takes to the stage and blows away the audience on their first try. The act of taking the risk is the experience in and of itself, and on that I’m sure you’ll succeed no matter what, making this a worthwhile project regardless of how scary it can sometimes be.