Welcome to the Writing Minor!

I am still in shock that I am writing this blog post. It feels like just yesterday we were talking about our proposals for our remediation project. The Gateway writing course has taught me a tremendous amount about myself as a person and as a writer. Here are a few pieces of advice that I have to share from what I learned!

1. Be present! It is easy to check out in any class, but being present in Writing 220 is not only important but beneficial. You will be surprised how in depth topics get and how fun it is to talk with your fellow classmates about something as simple as “what is writing?” You will soon learn that the question of “what is writing” is much more complex than you would think.
2. Write about topics you are passionate about! This is the first time in an academic course I felt like I had freedom. The repurposing and remediation project last the entire semester so it is important to write about something you can get excited about and want to continue perusing for a whole semester.
3. Get to know your classmates. Although the writing is solo, you will have a lot of interaction with your classmates. The peer review process was extremely helpful and was a great way to connect with different writers. My favorite part of this process was that everyone was essentially doing a different project, so it allowed you to take a step back from your own work and relate your own challenges with a completely different topic and medium of writing.
4. Have fun! This is a great opportunity to explore who you are as a writer. Writing was never my favorite subject and always proved to be a challenge. However, this class has broken the fear I have had with academic writing and allowed me to explore what is amazing about writing! So just have fun!

I hope you enjoy the Writing Gateway course as much as I did!

Allison Skaggs

Hello all! My name is Allison Skaggs and I am a junior at Michigan. I am from Orange County, California and decided to come to Michigan for a different kind of college experience! Currently, I am on the women's varsity water polo team and plan on majoring in Sport Management. Some things I enjoy during my time off are reading, swimming, attending sports games, and spending time with friends and family.

2 thoughts to “Welcome to the Writing Minor!”

1. Hey Allison!
    I agree with a ton of your advice, but especially remaining present in class. I found some classes I would be really stressed about other things and want to focus on those, but it’s super important to remain present and fully immerse yourself in the classroom. I also think it was really the first time I have felt complete freedom in a course. It was honestly liberating to be able to choose any topic for my projects and to not focus on length/style when it came to assignments, but rather when I truly felt the project was complete and sent my intended message. I have had a lot of fun getting to know other minor in writing students in this course and I look forward to the future of the minor!

2. Hi Allison,

Great advice! It’s so important to pick a topic that means something to you–otherwise you risk just going through the motions and feeling like each assignment is a chore. I also agree that the act of writing is so much more complex than just stringing words together and throwing them into the bottomless and overflowing sea of written works. Already I feel like this class has taught me that there are a multitude of ways to send your ideas to an audience, and to strive for a deeper understanding of why I am trying to send those messages to someone in the first place. I know it’s going to be illuminating to psychoanalyze how and why people write and what they are trying to say. Thanks for sharing!

Che